Just bought the game and I love it!! (first post)

Command a squadron of spaceships
ancientgamer

Just bought the game and I love it!! (first post)

Post by ancientgamer » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:28 pm

I'm curious if anyone else prefers low acceleration, high turnrate ships with a lot of guns and missles? I found for me it works even better than cloaking shields, at least in the first handfull of missions.

I designed a ship that was exaclty 116 credits so that I could get this ship right at the first mission.

Also on this ship design I put 1 command center on each side of the ship. It has 4 missle launchers, minimal shields, two rows of geenee missles, 2 repair bots, and just a few scanners.

Since making this ship I went from MAYBE 1 kill per mission to killing 4+ regularly.

I'm fully aware that my knowledge of this game is very limited since I just got the game, but I'm having a really good time designing the ship that fits my personality the best.

Oh, and HI everyone! :)

-- Travis

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:53 am

If you know how to use them right, heavy armor ships with lots of Plectrons and a few Daycorns are good. Catch the enemy at the right time and BAM they're dead. Crippled enemy? Break out the Daycorns (or have 5 Yataros for just that purpose).

Unless I am spectacularly unlucky, I kill like 3-5 units every time, and once I killed 13 on a Major Engagement/War mission.
My webcomic:

Styro

Post by Styro » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:02 pm

Welcome to the game!

I also prefer ships with high turn rates so I can avoid missiles. At first I was trying to get close to 70 (usually 67-69) but I had to sacrifice a lot of other things to get that high so now my ships have around 64-65. I usually have a lower acceleration, but not too low.

I have found cloaking to be invaluable. I tried flying with some of my ships where I had removed the stealth pods and added other things. I never realized just how much they helped. Now I always have at least 4 stealth on my ships. I usually try for 5 or 6. They are especially handy for sneaking up behind things like turrets so you can hit their weak spots before they detect you and turn.

As far as missiles go, I do half Daycorns and half Yataris. I like Plectrons, but I find that I miss too often. With the Yataris I just have to be close.

I ended up making a range of 12 ships starting around 98 credits with a new ship every 20 or so. I basically just add more shields and/or missiles each time. That way, no matter what money range I am in, I usually have a good ship to pick from.

On the other hand, I am no where near as good as OMJ, so take my advice for what it's worth. :)
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:27 am

I'm on mission #44, attack enemy planet. My ship is a Stealth Fighter v5 (of my own design):

3 scanners forward (with 2 on each side for a total of 9)
-it's hard to kill what you can't see
2 command centers in the front
3 launchers (1 front, 1 left, 1 right)
8 stealth (2 per side, although the total is what counts, not location)
-it's hard for the enemy to kill what they can't see
1 repair bot
1 full row of daycorns
1 full row of plectrons
1 full row of yataris
-it's hard to kill whithout enough ammo for suppressing fire

And mixed shields and armor all around give a thrust of 57 and turn of 59

Now I do get in some difficult spots with the low turn rate, but my ship is so hard to see, that I can usually manouver and make enough distance from an attacker that they lose sight of me, ending their attack.

I equip the rest of my fleet with stealthy ships, mostly cheaper versions of the same ship.
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:51 am

Why do you have so many Yataris? I haven't found them very useful...
My webcomic:

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:44 am

I'm with OMJ. I like about ten Yataris on my ships, but no more. The best use I've found is against stationary targets: I get up to full speed, and cruise around the edge of a turret ring, spewing Yataris all the while. Depending on turn rate, ten Yataris can oust three to four turrets in one pass (if you have four launchers, launching two per turn). Then I turn around and mop what my wingmen don't get.

The Yatari doesn't have any use beyond static defenses, though. If your ship is agile enough to dodge it (by which I mean, "able to move at all") then Yataris will miss anything beyond point blank range.

My best missile mix is ten Yataris (for turrets, etc), ten Geenees (fast enough to pick off drones, etc) and the rest is Plectrons. I never carry less than four launchers once I'm past mission 15 or so.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:53 pm

I like 10-15 Daycorns for dogfighting, 5-10 Yataris to finish off damaged ships and attack static stuff, and the rest are Plectrons, for heavy firepower or those perfect shots.
My webcomic:

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:07 am

The yataris are slow and don't pack the punch that plectrons do, but they are great for me. With stealth I can sneak up behind slow moving ships or static defenses. Now, we all know how annoying it is to try to line up a shot for plectrons, and notice that your just 'slightly' off target. Yataris fill this void for me, and I find them quite useful. Also, yataris are good when going head-to-head with enemy ships sometimes. When closing with an enemy, sometimes I can make a guess that a ship I'm closing with either won't see me, and continue straight, or that the ship will turn towards me. Either way, one or two yataris can usually strike enemy ships head-on, leaving them wide open for my wingmen to exploit (when they are able to actually hit the broadside of a barn...er, I mean ship).

Lastly, yatari's are great for taking out drifting (ejected) enemy ships. I can't remember how many times I shot a geenee or orik at a nearly finished off ship, and turning away (confident of a kill), only to see a 'hit' and not 'destroyed.' Yataris are the perfect weapon to finish 'em off with.

Love them yataris!
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:46 am

Yataris are perfect to take out ejected ships...
My webcomic: