Read it and weep

Command a squadron of spaceships
Old Man Johnson

Read it and weep

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:44 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/supersaiyanatmaweapon/zzzfatadmiral.bmp

His squadron: an Omega VIII.V, 4 Warriors and a Super Watcher.

Here's the Omega VIII.V:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/supersaiyanatmaweapon/zzzfatship.bmp

Plus 38 unused credits and that's 1649 credits for you. Ha!

Uhhhh...bitmaps apparently don't work, so just click the link...
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:16 pm

I can see why it needs all those shields.
With only one scanner front and side I consider it 'nearly blind' and it has no cloaks so i'll stick out on the enemy's radar like a lighthouse :)

What you've designed is the biggest drone ever!
Last edited by BoxZone_Author on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:29 pm

Hear, hear!

Quality over quantity. Most of my custom ships have four launchers, but all of them have at least two stealth modules. It keeps them from seeing you too quickly, and it cuts down on the enemy spraying you with Daycorns from two screens away.

I know the appeal of a big freaking tank, believe me. I played those ships almost exclusively in CM 3.0, but since 4.0 introduced the stealth module, the game gets SO much more exciting. It's a lot of fun to do more killing with less ship.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:28 pm

I always stick my allies with good radars, so they make up for the radar deficiency. I never find stealth very useful as once the enemy sees you they always know where you are.

Shields are more useful than stealth or manuever because otherwise a stray missile or a concentration of fire can take you out, whereas mega armor will make sure you survive. The only thing is, you have to know how to use it right. For a tank, it has quite a bit of manuever, and can avoid taking too many hits. You have to avoid being careless, as 8 super shields on each side can make you a bit cocky...

Also, after realizing more than 4 repair bots does you little good, I reduced it to 6 on the Omega VIII.V and upgraded the manuever.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:12 pm

Stealth is not something I want at the stage of the game im at, if im stealthed the enemy will not see me, therefore they wont fire missiles at me, therefore they will fire at something else, wingmen, starbases, important objectives etc.

My ships agile enough to dodge all but the daycorn and is fully loaded with armour should a few stray missiles come my way. I want them to fire at me because i can take the shots, things like the coloniser, trainee pilots etc cannot and they must be protected. Still my tactics might change as each mission includes more and more warriors...

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:29 pm

The dreadnought's got nothing on you.
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:26 am

Actually, Super armor is really messed up in 1.0. The reason being that in 3 and 4, Super armor will be destroyed when hit, instead of just turning into regular armor. The Dreadnought is extremely hard to destroy...
My webcomic: