This is what happens when your too good...

Command a squadron of spaceships
Admiral Slim

This is what happens when your too good...

Post by Admiral Slim » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 am

I've managed to play version 4 to the point where i have a few hundred personal kills and I am routinely getting gold cross medals. I got curious and counted the medals (at the bottom of the mission debrief). There are eight in number. Hmm, seems like I would have had more than that, so I played 2 more missions, and got another gold cross. I counted again and still only eight gold crosses are shown. It makes me wonder how many gold crosses I have earned. :lol:
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 pm

Wow. I wish I was that good :cry: or maybe you're just lucky :wink:
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:21 am

On version 4, it can maximum show 8 of each medal type. On 1 and 3, I think 4 is the maximum. My advice is to keep a text file and keep track of your medals when they get over 8. But that's only if you're obsessive...like me.

My big commander died on his 200th mission, with 900-something kills and many, many medals. Here they are:

Medal of Honour: 63
Medal of Conspicuous Bravery: 65
Medal of Outstanding Courage: 34
Gold Cross: 17

As you can see, when you get a ship that costs 429, you get VERY few Gold Crosses, and even Medals of Outstanding Courage are rare. This leads to 60-something Medals of Honour and Conspicuous Bravery. Each.
My webcomic:

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 am

how do you save the gold cross data in a txt file? do you mean manually typing/saving the data every time you earn a gold cross? btw, your not *cheating* are you? with the new changes sean made in 4.0 it makes it difficult to backup commanders, but not impossible from posts I've read. I have been playing v4 without backing up (unlike v2). It was rough at first, and died a few times, but once I learned the importance of stealth on a ship, it became a lot easier. I find the best way to stay alive is to also have a whole group of stealthy ships, preferably with wingmen having 3 or less launchers and about half a load of missiles (or less). I can't count how many times my wingmen in cm v2 killed me with friendly fire (that's what happens with 6 cruisers in a fleet) 8)

Happy hunting...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:49 am

Yeah, manually. Every time you get a Gold Cross, write down "Gold Cross" or keep a tally or something.

No, I don't cheat. I just play a lot. Very much a lot. I find a lot of armor does me a lot of good, as otherwise you die from unlucky circumstances.
My webcomic:

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:21 am

Ah, yes, unlucky circumstances. Which reminds me...

Where o where are u tonight?
Why did you leave me in this fight all alone?
I fought and fought with wingmen I trusted,
But in the end, 'hold fire' was gone!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Yeah, I've been playing for a 2 or 3 months now and I have had 2 very good Admirals with 8 of every medal and 200 and 84 missions, respectively. I had a Captain with 8 Gold Crosses and 24 missions (23 succesful, yay). Other than that, I have a whole bunch of Commanders and on Commodore with 3-5 Gold Crosses filling out the rest of my Roll of Honour (that I can see).
My webcomic: