Suggestions from an addicted newbie...

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Suggestions from an addicted newbie...

Post by Legacy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:23 pm

Okay, I've still not managed to get a commander past 20 missions, I tend to refuse to back down or resign myself to failure, even after a barrage of plectrons and oriks has just wiped out my entire squad right around me. This game really draws me in, there's a sort of shock when a friendly on your wing, following dangerously close, is wiped out by a missile that seems to have come out of nowhere, or when it seems like missiles are coming at you in a field too wide to possibly dodge without a little luck...

Anyway, here goes the ideas:
1. Missiles have to be carried on a ship somewhere, right? So why can't they be harmed even when the launchers, presumably near them, have been destroyted? If a fire or chain reaction starts in a missile rack, it should destroy things near it, and tehre should be a way of ejecting the burning/exploding ordnance. This is just an idea taht would be cool to see implimented in some way, shape, or form. Damage control would add some interesting situations to the game.

2. If you can have internal repair systems, why not missile(technically rocket, as it is in space) launch repair drone that randomly repairs a part on the target. It should only lock on a friendly, but if an enemy was hit by it, it should still do the random repair, as a mindless drone would be a fire and forget weapon without the capacity to discern between friend and foe.

3. You should be able to give your squad mates an order to eject or warp, as they tend to not even try when things are looking bad for them. I know there is no benefit to saving your wingmen, but I always feel bad when tehy don't eject from a stray shot of mine and get killed, or when they don't eject from a ship i am using as a human shield.

These are just a few things I've had bouncing around in my head, primarily number three. I just figured I'd post them in case you ever decided to incorporate some new features into an already addicting game.

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:46 pm

I likethe first idea. It makes sense, i mean, if a sub with a nuke on board explodes, wouldn't the nuke also?

The third idea sounds good too, ordering specific ship to do things

Your second idea.....
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:20 pm

I can?t say I?m an expert on nukes, but I believe they have to be triggered to detonate. I think a reacting element is flung into the core by an explosive trigger inside the bomb to start fission. I'd assume a conventional explosive nearby wouldn?t start nuclear fission, or at least if it did, it would scatter the radioactive core about so critical mass may not be achieved...

www.howstuffworks.com has info on how they work.

So ammo wouldn?t necessarily explode, though perhaps a missile could take about a rack of 5 missiles occasionally when armour is down, after all they are internal components too and if they are not detonated they would be at least rendered useless.

Edit: However, while conventional explosive may not trigger a nuke, a nearby nuclear detonation may. Modern nukes use nuclear fusion, as it provides tremendous amounts of energy but requires large amounts of energy to get started. Therefore they use a fission bomb to get the fusion started and BAM! So a nearby nuke would provide enough energy to set off fusion. But i would think the ferocity of the blast would scatter the material so fusion wouldnt take place.

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:49 am

So, with that, we have 3 new missile ideas:
Repair bot missile.
Scanner missile.
Anti-missile missile.
I'm in favour of them all to be honest.
Collected from various pages.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:49 pm

There's more missile ideas in some other topic somewhere...
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 pm

Antimissile could be some kind of scattershot flak maybe?

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:23 pm

I, personally, don't like the idea of an anti-missile. I think it could make the game complicated and slow down space battles, if every ship is flinging chaff in a firefight, no-one is going to take any hits...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:49 am

All my missile ideas involve more destruction...maybe too much. :twisted:

Like the "splash damage" area effect missile. Or the cluster bomb missile. Or the piercing missile. Mmmmm...
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:16 am

What about an unguided missile like the plectron, but with only a 5mton warhead and the ability to go much faster than normal missiles?

And also, i want to be able to carry 6 missile launchers!!!!

(and plenty more missiles)

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:09 pm

More missile launchers would be cool. And of course more missiles. There should be some sort of missile bay upgrade.
My webcomic:

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:57 am

Tell you a secret Steve. There is a way you can have 8 missile launchers.

Bet that sets some people on their ear!

Fusion

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:06 am

You can't seriously tell us only that.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:08 am

Is it called 'buy a wingman?' :)

I can get rid of all the command points, but adding more missle launchers... i can't see how it could be achieved

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:12 pm

I didn't say it was easy and yes I definitely meant that one single ship could have up to 8 missile launchers. But you will have to think outside the box to figure out how its done. The original method to do this was posted on Sean's old message board about 3 years ago.

Fusion

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:08 pm

Fusion_Power, do you hack the binary for the ship design directly?

This would work if Sean only applied the ship design restrictions when creating a ship rather than when using it. (On the assumption that his application was the only one to make the ship).