The stranded ship can hyperspace?!?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Steve!

The stranded ship can hyperspace?!?

Post by Steve! » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:53 pm

I thought perhaps a topic would have existed on this by now, but I haven't seen one...

The title explains all. I hit the stranded ship with 4 yataris reducing it to a floating pile of wrekage with 1 command point and 1 engine left, or something like that.

It begins to hyperspace.

Obviously a bug, if it could hyperspace it would start at the beginning of the mission, and a rescue team would not be sent.

BUT - why shouldn't it be able to hyperspace? I can hyperspace with no engines, any ship can.

I therefore suggest a ship be only able to hyperspace so long as it has rear thrusters remaining. That could make things interesting, a missile might not kill you, but may destroy your rear engines disrupting hyperspace and forcing you to eject.

This makes it slightly harder to escape, but chances are the command points will go, long before all the engines.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 pm

I've also wondered about the stranded ship being able to hyperspace. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Also if I was the politician or the traine pilots and I saw a load of enemy ships coming towards me I'd be hitting the hyperspace button long before they were in range.

However I disagree with your comment re: engines vs command centres. I often fly ships with more command centres than rear engines.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:46 am

I'll look into this...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:57 pm

Ok so for some people engines will go first, but then thats another reason to have more rear engines, i never found large amounts of thrust that useful anyway...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 pm

I always like to have good thrust.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 pm

It appears only military ships can hyperspace. However, a stranded ship can hyperspace, which obviously doesn't make it anysense; i's not actually stranded, just too stupid to hyperspace.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:21 pm

What's the ship doing on its own in no man's land anyway? Its the only enemy ship you ever see not in a squaderon.

Would you send a squad to protect a ship that had an engine failiure? I might not risk the squad and just tell the pilot to eject, particularly if it was a very cheap ship.

Heres a good idea, make a stranded ship ambush mission, where the stranded ship is fully functional but faking having an engine failiure and two enemy squads come in from the flanks to attack you.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:35 am

The stranded ship usually IS valuable. In all the stranded ship missions I've flown in, the ship stranded is always the most expensive ship in its particular class. Maybe the game feels so badly about losing a 200-credit ship that it will make you lose 300 credits' worth of wingmates to get it back...

Who knows why the ships are there? Maybe the stranded ship is the sole survivor of some other player's "Attack Enemy Hospitals" mission. He managed to get away from the battle when his engines were blown out, but the pilot has now fallen asleep from boredom looking for the last hospital and it takes an enemy squadron to wake him up.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:47 am

"The best ship in its class" sometimes isn't saying much...I hate when you have to protect a Hornet or an Eagle.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:18 am

I'm just gald my ship never has a complete engines failiure

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:45 am

I emailed Sean about this several months ago when I flew a mission and had all my missile launch tubes shot out. I had repair bots so flew around the stranded ship until he used up all his missiles (plectrons). By then, my repair bots had made one firing tube so I turned to shoot him and he hyperspaced. I was thoroughly surprised!

Sean's explanation at the time was that the stranded ship was perfectly capable of hyperspacing but was set up to act as a decoy luring enemy fighters (you!) into range so they could be killed. Firing all its missiles was one of the conditions for the stranded ship to hyperspace.

Here's a thought for you. Does the stranded ship ever have repair bots?

Fusion

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:08 pm

They're always destroyed along with the engines. I noticed this too.
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:57 pm

The repair bots have to be destroyed along with the engines, otherwise he would repair his engines and he wouldn't be stranded anymore.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the stranded ship attempt to hyperspace before he's fired all his missiles.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:16 am

They also do the standard "I'm hurt really bad! Hyperspace" reaction. If you cripple them they will try to run and hyperspace.
My webcomic: