[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Real Time?

Real Time?

Command a squadron of spaceships

Real Time?

Postby Legacy » Thu May 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Sometimes I get tired of hunting down the last enemy, or am incapable of completing a mission, and I just hold in the space bar and the game flows as if in real time. How cool would it be to have the option of playing in a real time setting? The engine seems to be capable, but it would be quite a bit of work. A man can dream though, can he not?
Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu May 05, 2005 6:19 pm

You could control your ship with the arrow keys, and I guess hotkeys could be assigned for eject, hyperspace, the types of missiles, etc.. I don't see why it couldn't work. It would be a whole different game experience, though.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Steve! » Fri May 06, 2005 5:30 pm

Well the turn based nature of critical mass is what made me start to play it. Most real time space shooters are very similar and rely on quick reflexes, critical mass is such a different approach and adds much more strategy.

In other words, I think a real time mode would ruin it, though as an added feature I guess I couldnt complain because it would keep everyone happy.
Steve!

Postby Sean OConnor » Sat May 07, 2005 3:16 pm

Actually the original version of Critical Mass (which I wrote on an Atari ST) was real-time. The problem we found though was how to launch your missiles and we either had to let go of the manouver keys to hit the buttons 1-4 to fire a missile or get a friend to shoot missiles for you. Either way wasn't very easy so I decided to make it a turn based game on Windows.

I could write an entirely new game though which would end up being a lot like Starship Command on the BBC micro if anyone remembers that?
Sean OConnor

Postby Legacy » Mon May 09, 2005 2:34 am

Never played it, but is it like Subspace/Continuum?
Legacy

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 am

Here's a screenshot:

Sean OConnor

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue May 10, 2005 3:00 am

The main ship looks much like a destroyer; not a coincidence, obviously. I don't recognize any of the other ships.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Bosconan

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:39 am

Actually, CM reminds me a lot of Bosconan (or alternative spelling), an old arcade game which involved flying around shooting at enemy ships, avoiding mines and (most importantly) blowing up space stations - this was my favourite part!

It was fun but somewhat limited. CM's choice of weapons plus huge numbers of ships/structures to fly/blow up is the obvious next level!

As for real time, I love the turn based system, as I find I miss so much of what's going on around me if I'm concentrating on the controls rather than the strategic situation...

...would love the chance to steer by arrow keys while holding down the space bar when searching for the enemy though...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Re: Bosconan

Postby Legacy » Wed May 11, 2005 4:14 am

Legacy

Return to Critical Mass