[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Mines!

Mines!

Command a squadron of spaceships

Mines!

Postby cavemaniac1 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:24 pm

I've looked all through the other posts and have found numerous suggestions for new missile types (I love the idea of a salvage or radar missile) but can't see any where someone has suggested the idea of mines.

The idea came to me as I was being furiously pursued in a badly damaged ship, going backwards (don't ask!) at a huge rate of knots. I found that by firing a missle at my pursuers, my forward momentum would almost overcome the missiles thrust, leaving it virtually stationary, though with the ability to vector in on the following ship. This was hugely effective in disuading them from following me, giving me time to hyperspace.

I wondered if a dedicated mine or rear missile launceher would add anything to the game - remember, submarines have rear torpedo tubes. You could 'seed' the area in front of your starbases with mines to deter enemy attack or give a pursuer a fright!

The same concept could be adopted with radar pods (instead of/in addition to radar missiles), colour coded to so you can destroy enemy pods, giving radar returns in areas where you don't have any ships - again, referencing contemporary navies, they use both permanantly moored sorarbouys and temporary ones dropped from aircraft.

I have tried rear firing missiles again in other situations and found that it works well against static targets - you simply rocket past going backwards and fire off a salvo of missiles (long range work best) at a factory (or whatever), and whle they take a while to stop and gather momentum, they are tracking the target all the time and work as well going slowly as fast!

Another advantage to this is that while going backwards, you have your heaviest (Frontal) armour toward any pursuers.

Thoughts and suggestions?

+++
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby Fusion_power » Mon May 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Mines have been suggested several times in the past. Smart mines were the best of the lot. They would wait in space until a ship was almost on them with a stealth installed so the enemy couldn't see them. When an enemy ship was near, they would move toward it.

Its a good idea. Programming it would be a bear though.

Fusion
Fusion_power

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue May 10, 2005 3:02 am

A problem with flying backwards all the time is that Plectrons become mostly worthless, because they don't track. Also, you're exposing your weak rear armor to the enemy you're flying towards.

If you fly backwards fast and fire Yataris, they'll run out of fuel fast and fly backwards (they don't blow up though, I think missiles hit only when moving forward.)
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Return to Critical Mass