[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - You'll never believe this...

You'll never believe this...

Command a squadron of spaceships

You'll never believe this...

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:51 am

Hi guys!

I've been playing Critical Mass for about 2 years now and I just love it.

Way back when, I designed a 'Super Fighter' that was durn near invincable and used it pretty near exclusively until the most recent version of CM came out. With the new version, I promptly built the Super Fighter (I called it a Snipe) again - but of course, it was far too expensive for the early stages of the game and was never available...

Having put a fair amount of work into designing my new Snipe, and then not being able to use it, I lost interest in designing my own ships and reverted to using the built in ships.

I quickly discovered that the only ships that suited my style of play were the Falcon, and later, the Eagle.

They are a reasonably tough ship, with a great rate of acceleration and four missile tubes which allow me to hose down large areas of the screen with unguided missiles (my speciality!!!) But God help me if I got hit from behind... The number of times I've had to eject with a long range missile locked onto my tail...

When neither a Falcon or Eagle were available, I'd use a Super Watcher with it's great stealth capability, reasoning that it was better to survive a mission than to try to complete it and die...

So, using only stock ships, I regularally get up to mission 50+, achieve hit rates of around 60% and get up to 6 Gold Crosses. Of course, by then I'm up against vast numbers of enemy ships and I have a full compliment of wingmen who are all gunning for me - so I don't last long!!!

Has anyone else been this daft????

I've just had Broadband (all praise it's blessed name) installed at work, so I can spend HOURS Net surfing every day and that's when I found time to read these forums.

The discussions on stealth, radar and manouverability were a real eye opener and provided the stimulus to go back to the drawing board and experiment with affordable, invisible, heavily armed fighters.

I've had mixed results so far, and am finding that I need to modify my gameplay tactics, but my greatest success so far is designing a wingman who seems reluctant to shoot at me(!) - a tiny (I named it 'Mote') unshielded stealth ship with fair handling capabilities and only one missile tube (hey, I STILL don't trust it not to unload on me!!).

Further designs will follow...

Many thanks to everyone who has posted their ship designs as they're giving me ideas for my variants...

Well, s'pose I should do some work now...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed May 11, 2005 4:12 am

Actually, the percentage on the Roll of Honour is your mission success rate...
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby cavemaniac1 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:58 pm

cavemaniac1

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed May 11, 2005 1:58 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Styro » Wed May 11, 2005 2:36 pm

Styro

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed May 11, 2005 6:07 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby cavemaniac1 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:13 pm

To advance as far as I did I had to be VERY cautious.

This would usually mean abandoning my wingmen to tie up the defensive fighters while I took care of the target.

It also meant bailing out at the first sign of trouble! Those Falcons blow up almost every time they're struck from the rear!

I also had to change to an appropriate ship for specific missions - a super watcher is perfect for finding hidden targets and is surprisingly survivable. It's lack of manouverability and firepower are obvious drawbacks though.

And of course, while I'm flying the Super Watcher I've deligated my Falcon or Eagle to a wingman - who gets it blown up for me! Meaning I'm stuck with the Super Watcher until a Falcon or Eagle is available again!!

I'm having a blast designing my own ships now, though the ultimate design yet eludes me!

Good tip with the multiple control centres, as they cost and weigh virtually nothing - though I'm usually short on mounting points with all the stealth I've learned I like!!
cavemaniac1

Postby Old Man Johnson » Fri May 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Well, there is no "ultimate" ship design; even custom ships have weaknesses. However, once you find out what kind of gameplay style you like, you can make ships that are very good for you.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:18 pm

My favorite ships are like light, meneuverable versions of the Survivabubble, with the exception of a heavy bomber that can barely turn but is almost indestructable...

I tend to go with a small amount of powerful missiles, figuring I shouldn't shoot unless I will hit my target, with the exception of spraying down a group of slow/stopped enemies with four heavy warheads...
Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue May 17, 2005 5:51 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Tue May 17, 2005 8:14 pm

Legacy

Return to Critical Mass