Abandoned Ships

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Abandoned Ships

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

I've never been able to figure what happens to a ship when the pilot ejects.

Obviously, at some point it self destructs, but can anyone tell me the conditions/time frame?

Which leads me to:

Blowing up unoccupied ships has always seemed such a waste and I've always wished there was was some way of salvaging them.

Someone suggested a Salvage missile - this sounds perfect, as it would allow us to recover enemy as well as our own abandoned ships. They could be repaired and added to our squadrons (allowing us to get more advanced models or ships that only other races have), sold for cash or otherwise be exchanged for some sort of reward.

The missile would carry a 'warp core' or some sort of Hyperspace drive and would obviously have to over-ride the abandoned ships' self destruct sequence. It would then hyperspace 8 turns later, giving other ships the chance to destroy it to prevent it falling into enemy hands, or shoot one of their own salvage missiles at it...

Too complex?

Actually, what I'd REALLY like to see is a fleet of salvage tugs turn up to pick up hulks and debris!

And there's another thought - what if ships broke up into a random number of pieces when desrtroyed, instead of just vanishing in a cloud of dust? Imagine chunks of destroyed ships floating around like asteroids - too small for a missile to lock onto but big enough to detonate one (like an escape pod!!) and slow down ships (like a collision with a ship, pod or asteroid). Hey presto, instant debris field to hide in!!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue May 10, 2005 1:37 pm

The ship self destructs after a set number of moves (I think it's around 6). I thought about creating debris when ships explode or are hit but I just ran out of time and moved on to another project. Maybe next version!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed May 11, 2005 4:13 am

With the graphics system it shouldn't be that bad, just split the tringles off randomly...

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:41 pm

This is a little "out there" but wouldn't it be interesting if exploding ships shot off a few missiles? Just a thought... :?
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Splitting the triangles up sounds a little weird, but I would think it would look pretty decent.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:18 pm

cept my custom ships almost always have maximum triangles, that would mean they would produce lots more wrekage than simpler ships. I imagine a set number of little triangles would be better, perhaps related to the number of componants on the ship

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:21 pm

I don't think missiles would cook off like standard kinetic rounds do...

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:53 am

This is a little "out there" but wouldn't it be interesting if exploding ships shot off a few missiles? Just a thought...

Ooooh! I like this!

Rather than just a cloud of debris (triangles) - how about a debris field of whatever wasn't destroyed when the ship exploded?

There'd be loads of missiles floating free, radar, repairbots, unused escape pods and (from civillian ships) cargo and little dead people! :twisted:

Yep, think the psycho in me would appreciate that!! :D

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:28 pm

That would be good, though I doubt the missiles would be left in a dangerous state, they would need to be armed before being able to harm someone, and if not destroyed in the ships explosion they wouldnt pose any threat, as they wouldn't have been armed.

I would like to see more than one escape pod on transports hospitals and stabases etc.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:19 pm

Yeah...why can starbases eject anyway? All of a sudden the command center or something runs away, leaving the lower ranking officers and civilians to die, trapped on the starbase...
My webcomic:

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:30 pm

The ship self destructs after a set number of moves (I think it's around 6).

Have any of you noticed that while an abandoned (i.e. the pilot has ejected) fighters explode after a while, abandoned civillian ships and turrets dont...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Yeah, I noticed that. It irritates me because then I have to finish them off instead of just waiting for them to die (wastes precious missiles).
My webcomic: