Missile Ideas(Again)

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Missile Ideas(Again)

Post by Legacy » Sun May 22, 2005 3:55 pm

EMP - Cuts all functions of the target ship for some set number of turns, probably one or two.

Wire Guided - Steerable once launched, but has a relatively short fuel supply.

There were other suggestions I've seen that I've liked, such as missiles with radar on them and I posted about a stealth missile and repair missile, there could be a scatter missile(though that's not exactly a great idea), and I've probably missed a few other ideas I liked but forgot to mention. It would be cool to have expensive special warfare packages with a mix of these missiles in them, for use on high end ships most likely. These special warfare things would have to be heavier too, since some would require extra technical stuff inside and outside to function. As such, it would make a wider range of functions for ships.

I know a lot of the ideas here are a little much to expect, and some would change dynamics of the game, but it's fun to just brainstorm and imagine this stuff.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 am

Yeah, it's fun to come up with new ideas for missiles; not so fun to program them, I guess.
My webcomic:

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:34 am

I'm still rooting for my idea about stationary space mines. Mines would add the ability to lay traps for the enemy, and whole lots of other fun things. Either that, or add the ability to drop chaff behind your ship to throw off pursuing missiles.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon May 23, 2005 9:54 am

I managed to get two Yatari to stand still when I was in a maneuverable bomber trying to get away from the thick of things, and then, out of nowhere, an Eagle or Raven(I forget now, it's been awhile) came in to line up on me and blew himself up. I remember thinking, "Space Mines" when that happened because I had read the idea of mines a little earlier.

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Mon May 23, 2005 5:12 pm

Speaking of missiles, if we do make any won't we have to call them after computers, like the original are?
I forget where Sean put the list of computers to missiles, but I'm pretty sure their there somewhere.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue May 31, 2005 5:23 pm

Heres my new missile idea. An ultra high non explosive SABOT style round.

It would travel faster than normal missiles, (or at maximum speed on first turn of acceleration perhaps) and upon impact, travel right through an enemy ship, continuing to travel onward. Being non-explosive its damage would not be major, it would destroy 1 shield on the side it impacted, and one on the opposite side, as it exited and of course it may take out 2 or more internal componants on its way through.

No homing mechanism of course.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue May 31, 2005 7:08 pm

That's pretty interesting, maybe the game should have a missile editor like the ship editor to create missiles. It'd be similar to the ship builder, but it would have to be more complex I assume...

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:14 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:Yeah, it's fun to come up with new ideas for missiles; not so fun to program them, I guess.

I guess that explains a lot :D
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:45 pm

A missile editor would be very cool, but I imagine it would be absurdly difficult to program, at least to the extent that people would consider sufficient.
My webcomic:

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:16 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:A missile editor would be very cool, but I imagine it would be absurdly difficult to program, at least to the extent that people would consider sufficient.

Yes, I think you are right there!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:38 am

Yeah, the graphics part would be similar to the ship editor, and warhead, thrust, and turning could be determined by text values, because engines don't have components, but beyond that, with the cool custom stuff we keep coming up with, each missile would have to be hard coded like the custom units in Total Annihilation.

At least, that's what I assume.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:45 pm

But then there is nothing to stop people from making like,

"sooper enilation Missile!!!!1!"
200 Thrust
360 Turn
5000 MTons

Things like that would just ruin the game.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 pm

cost 1,000

so not necessarily, though I'm happy with the current missile selection.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:19 pm

Well, it could assign the price automatically basedo n the capabilities of the missile, so custom missiles would be heavier or something. Maybe just a given number of points then you have to assign the points wisely to keep the missile in the cost boundary. So the more you increase the turn, the less points you can assign thrust and the warhead and such...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Yeah, that would certainly help balance out. Another thought that occured to me is that you could just trust people to want to have fun. It's their problem if they make things screwed up. Like, there's nothing in the mission editor that prevents you from making a mission where you hunt down crippled ships in an asteroid field. I tried it. You always get a Gold Cross. Afterwards I deleted it, because it wasn't any fun. So, I suppose people who want to make a missile like that could, and then have no fun, and everyone else would be able to create whatever missiles they want.
My webcomic: