[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica

Command a squadron of spaceships

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sat May 28, 2005 1:41 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby cavemaniac1 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:05 pm

The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sat May 28, 2005 5:03 pm

In my experience ships do take the majority of the damage they receive on the side that they received the hit.
Not all, but the majority.
BoxZone_Author

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun May 29, 2005 4:32 am

Elaborating on my earlier point, it would really be nice to see the Factories, Starbases, etc. look a lot bigger to reflect the fact that they are not supposed to be the same size as a ship!
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Steve! » Sun May 29, 2005 9:59 pm

I already mentioned something, breifly, about turreted cruisers. I think it would be fantasic to fight a cruiser with multiple componants like turrets engines and a bridge, all held together by a central hull. I'm imagining it would be mobile, until you blew off its engines and then you could avoid it, or destroy its turrets.

But what about the hull itself, im thinking this should be invincible, or at least very very tough, and missiles should not home onto it, homing onto the turrets/engine/bridge instead, after all, if they track the hull, half the missiles you fire wont hit the turrets and its going to be pretty large, so you wouldn't exactly need a lock to hit the hull anyway.

Of course, if the bridge is destroyed, the whole ship should self destruct, the bridge should be hard to hit, tough and well protected by turrets.

Just my thoughts on the idea.

And yes, larger factories and starbases would be good. Varying sizes of asteroid would also be nice. eg tiny, which would be like slow moving ejector pods, having little effect on your flight and large ones, which would just look really good.
Steve!

Postby Legacy » Mon May 30, 2005 12:48 am

A challenge woyuld be setting these ships up so the turrets don't shoot through the hull towards targets...
Legacy

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue May 31, 2005 9:17 am

The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby trilogy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:55 pm

i agree with the post above me, it would be great to have targetable missles
(is that a word?) that you could pick a target with and instead oh homing in on the nearest enemy ship/base/turret it would home in on the target that you picked, at least untill it ran out of fuel, then it would just go off in the direction it was traveling in. one reason i like that idea is that sometimes when i fire off a couple of missiles at an enemy ship/base/turret it will suddenly veer off and head for another target (sometimes my own wingmen).
but this might be hard to code so i don't really know if that is realalistic.

and by the way this is agreat game Sean
trilogy

Postby highlandsun » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:33 pm

highlandsun

Postby BoxZone_Author » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:04 pm

If you had some way to tell your missile that the ship in front of it was on it's side and not to detonate. Whats to stop the enemy sending the same signal to your missile, thus rendering it useless?
BoxZone_Author

Postby highlandsun » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:14 pm

Well, this is actually done in modern combat vehicles (aircraft, ground, naval vessels, everything) today. It's called IFF (Identify-Friend-or-Foe) and it's based on an encrypted signal broadcast. The enemy can't duplicate the signal without cracking the code (or obtaining it via espionage), although they can certainly try to jam it.

But I think in today's world, IFF is not implemented in missiles, only in the vehicles. Not too sure.

Anyway, the feature I'm talking about still wouldn't be foolproof. If an enemy ship is right next to yours, the missile would still detonate because of the enemy's proximity, and you'd get damaged just from being close by.
highlandsun

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:15 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Skywalker » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:16 am

That doesn't happen. In the demo mission, I completely go the wrong way, smash into the starbase head on, and fire two plectrons into the starbase, while I am touching it. I do not get hurt. I think that the missiles burrow into the armour, where they burst to cause maximum armour damage. This is also logical when you think of how the components are damaged. I think I see a pattern where the angle the missile comes in is to blame for a particular pattern. If it destroys the shields and the components, it only destroys components on that side, while if it goes through the shields, it does not merely damage surface targets, but it acts as if it went to the centre of the ship and burst, so that deep targets, in classic military parlance, are affected.

This gives me an idea for future missions: You can have three levels of Attack Enemy Planet:

Surface, like a colony on the front lines;

Shallow, like sector base, but you have to destroy all of the defending units and not just the sector base;

Deep Target, where you lead a massive strike on one of their largest colonies, far from the front lines, possibly even their homeworld itself.

I would love to see a full-scale warship on a mission like that. You might have to protect it until it got to the picture of the enemy planet. In fact, it makes sense: You are on a deep strike. You have no way to hyperspace out of the system, except that the Cruiser/Carrier does not need a wormhole unit to go intersystem (and is too large anyway?), and it is the only way for you to get to the colony, as the fighters are too short ranged, and the wormhole unit is an enemy one.

Another good idea is the one of an unknown aggressor in Descent Freespace and Babylon 5:

The first has the Shivans attack in the mission after Avenging Angels (after briefing comments that you are not to take reports of unknown invaders at face value)

The Shadows in the second scrag the pirates ("Raiders") in 'Signs and Portents', a Narn base in 'Chrysalis', and the largest Narn civilian colony, in 'The Coming of Shadows', the first non-trek, non-Twilight Zone SF episode to win a hugo award (?) in, I believe, 50 years or so.

This sort of mission could involve a defend Sector Base mission or something, except that the aggressor could be one or two enemy vessels, possibly multiple part vessels, and you have to force one to eject so that you can study the new race.
Wing Commander Skywalker
Skywalker

Previous

Return to Critical Mass