Sudden spaceship death syndrome...

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Sudden spaceship death syndrome...

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Just had a weird one...

I was in the middle of a cluster of my own ships that had just collided (three others) in a heavily armoured, undamaged custom ship, when it exploded and I died.

My first thought was that one of my idiot wingmen had shot me down, but the mission summary didn't credit anyone for the kill.

My second thought was that an enemy stealth fighter had slipped in and nailed me, but I was in the middle of a cluster of my own ships, so surely someones radar would have spotted it and I sure as heck didn't see any missiles...

...in any case, it would have taken more than one missile to finish off my trusty Devistator...

Has anyone else noticed a tendency for their fighter to blow up without any real cause?
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu May 26, 2005 7:41 pm

I have had that happen on my Massive War Custom map, where there are too many objects, and I assume it makes all or part of a missile disappear so I don't see it.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm

Hmmm.

Hadn't thought of that, though it wasn't a custom mission, I was half way through so most of the ships of both sides had departed (one way or another!)....
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri May 27, 2005 11:47 am

I'm not sure what happened there! If you're playing on a huge custom mission and it runs out of free objects to create a new missile it wouldn't mean that it would create an invisible missile - it just wouldn't create the missile at all.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri May 27, 2005 4:04 pm

I have no idea what your code looks like, but I figured that.

My thought was that, since your graphics engine uses those triangle segments, maybe it renders part of a missile and that part is too small to see, but big enough to be recognized by the engine upon impact.

Then again, I don't know C and I've no clue, just a thought.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri May 27, 2005 9:21 pm

I couple of times I have seen a heavily armoured ship explode when hit by a single missile, as though the missile had managed to 'slip past' the shields somehow.
Never seen one explode for no reason though.
(Though I have been credited for killing my own custom ship and I was the only one flying that design, though since it didn't actually kill me I wasn't all that fussed).

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat May 28, 2005 2:45 am

Somehow it seems to me that a missile coming in from daigonal can "slip through" like BoxZone just mentioned. I doubt this is actually happening, though; it doesn't make sense.
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat May 28, 2005 10:15 am

Well, it's a thought...