AI using custom ships.

Command a squadron of spaceships
OllyG

AI using custom ships.

Post by OllyG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi,

I love this game: I played the original 1990s version endlessly in my youth, and, now I am somewhat less youthful, I'm still enjoying Critical Mass 4, especially having created lots of custom shops from a certain famous sci-fi series!

Two things would enrich my enjoyment. Does anyone know if there has been any modding / tweaking which enables these?

1. I would love to be able to get the AI to use the ships I have created. Now, I found the modified Designs.dat file on here and tried using it. However, the version which had been uploaded also included lots of other custom ships. Does anyone have a 'clean' version so I can add just 5 of my own custom ships for the AI to play?

2. Linked to the above, I'd love to be able to get the AI to ONLY use some of my custom ships (and more than 5 too).

Would anyone else like this? Would be great to get another version / mod which enables this. Sadly, my own programming abilities are non-existent.

Many thanks,

Olly.

nikkil

Re: AI using custom ships.

Post by nikkil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 pm

2. Linked to the above, I'd love to be able to get the AI to ONLY use some of my custom ships (and more than 5 too).

Nice thoughts, although it might be an overkill already if AI would be limited to using ships. Just a thought.
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image

OllyG

Post by OllyG » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi

I'm not sure how many people still play this game, or, Sean, if you still might be keen to take such a masterpiece to the next level!

I am thinking about coming back to Critical Mass.

I previously posted about whether it might be possible to get the AI to use my own custom ships. What I would really love to see is the following tweaks to the game, which would enable me to allocate fleets of custom ships to each scenario:

* Enable AI to play with custom ships

* Create my own 'sets' of custom ships from which the AI would choose

* Specify which custom ships would be used by the 'friendly' AI and which by the 'enemy': this would enable me to pit various custom ships I have designed based on a famous sci-fi franchise against each other (I envisage different designs being aligned with the various in-game factions)

* Make the AI play only with the custom ships I specify, on both the friendly and enemy side. The ships I have created very in cost and sophistication, but it definitely wouldn't be an easy ride

Any thoughts on whether there is any possibility of a future release incorporating the above?

Many thanks

Olly.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

I have a modified version of critical mass that permits the AI to use a certain number of custom ships. There are rules that have to be followed to get them to work properly.

OllyG

Post by OllyG » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi

Thanks for your note. Yes, I think I found your file somewhere else on the forums and tried it, but if I recall correctly, it came with a lot of your own custom ships included? They were very interesting, but I was really keen to put just my own custom designs (I think the limit was 5 ships for input?) in exclusively and see how the AI flew them.

Olly.