Upgrading ship and randomisation

Command a squadron of spaceships
Steve!

Upgrading ship and randomisation

Post by Steve! » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:49 pm

I find it really annoying when I finally reach the amount of credits to buy the next upgrade of my custom ship (usually containing more armour) and the ship doesn't appear in the purchase ship menu!

Once i missed an entire custom design becasue the ship repeatedly didn't show up, untill i was miles passed the amount needed to purchase it.

I always look forward to getting enough credits for a new ship, so it drives me mad when the ship i want just isn't there!

I think perhaps it would be better if ships were not randomised, that would also introduce more strategy as you could choose ships to suit each mission more effectively. What also annoys me is when i have to play hunt the coloniser and no radar heavy ships are available for purchase.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:21 pm

Steve,

I too find it dissapointing when the ship I wan't isn't available but I think this makes the game more fun sometimes.

I always try to have a 'high radar' ship or two with me and after a few missions when the spare cash permits always try to have a ship I would fly as a primary wingman.

I think the solution to your problem is to have more flexable ships rather than dedicated ones and to fly some ships that are not ideal for a mission so you still have them for the next mission if that type is crucial.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:48 pm

Well I designed variations on my line of custom ships, such as radar ships and bombers that maintain the large amounts of armour. Even so, it can get fustrating when instead of a scanner ship I get three heavy fighters.

I never found the randomisation to be all that realistic either... why would the inventory constantly change?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, since you are always fighting, I assume you are engaged in interstallar war, with ships constantly being blown up by yourself and other squads that you never actually see. Because of this kind of total war, with factories getting blown up on all sides, supply lines are probably pretty sketchy, and the front gets whatever the front gets.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:40 pm

But the front gets exactly the same number of ships each and every time, with a very regular distribution of price.

The randomness just gets on my nerves mainly, when I've developed a custom ship and have just reached the credits needed to buy it, I'm the only commander in the fleet who can and will fly this thing, so why isn't it being shipped to me ASAP?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:17 pm

Supply line problems, the resupply convoy was blown up on one of those failed protect the convoy missions.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:39 am

But the front gets exactly the same number of ships each and every time, with a very regular distribution of price.

You have to remember that yours is only one squadron of many operating in this sector.

You get to chose your wingmen from the pool of available craft after higher ranking squadron commanders have formed their squadrons from the better ships, as per their rank privelage. :P

Remember how crappy the available 'fighters' (drones for the love of mike!) were on your first mission?! :D
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:47 pm

No one outranks me, I'm forever in a ship, far surpassing anything any other wingleader flies. Plus i always lead the fleet on attack/defend planet and assult starbase and sector base.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:15 pm

The ships need to be painted. So you can't fly them and destroy the enemy. :P
My webcomic:

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:47 am

No one outranks me, I'm forever in a ship, far surpassing anything any other wingleader flies.

Yeah! All the other ships in the sector are in for repairs from all the friendly fire - you have to chose from what's left flyable!!

:P
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...