Little Red Dots

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Little Red Dots

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:42 am

Now here's a random little request.

Perhaps it's my failing eyesight, but I have a tremendous amount of difficulty telling apart green and blue ships on the radar screen.

I know the races are colour coded, but as we never meet more than one race at a time, couldn't friendlies be shown as green and enemies as red dots?

Just thought it might make the screen a little clearer... This system seems to be used effectivly in many other games I've played.
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:35 pm

Yeah, but I'd love to see 3-4 way battles in future, has Sean got any plans for these?

If so, red dots wouldnt work

I'm almost always orange, so I dont have to tell green and red apart :)

Styro

Post by Styro » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:30 pm

I have the same problem with green and blue on the radar. Perhaps the four colors of the ships (green, blue, purple, and orange) can be set as an option like Slay. That way you could make them very different colors if you wanted (change blue to yellow or red for example).
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:23 pm

That would be pretty cool I'd always fly black ships. They would look cool.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:32 pm

well currently you can customise colours in the ship editor...

Wouldn't black ships be mostly invisible :shock:

Maybe the problem could also be solved by maiking the blue more 'blue' rather than cyan.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:28 pm

My Zero(Fighter-Bomber) is all black almost...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:53 pm

Well, not necessarily completely black, but pretty close. Besides, if your ship is black, it's hard for the enemies to see it. Well, it would be if they weren't computer AI.
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

I too struggle sometimes with the Cyan and Green '+' on radar. Especially on the 'defend the ...' missions where it turns out that an enemy has slipped past my fleet and is ripping the guts out of whatever I was supposed to defend. By the time I notice the decrease in little Green '+' and then get there it's usually too late...

I think this is only a problem on the Radar and only with Cyan/Green. Even making the good guys a '+' and the bad guys a 'X' might help but an option for RED rather than race colour would be a big help. In a three way do you care who someone else is? If it's not green ... kill it.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:37 pm

3 way battles would be pretty cool. Things would get very hectic very fast.
My webcomic:

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:24 am

3 way battles would be pretty cool. Things would get very hectic very fast.

In a three-way, just go hide in a corner 'tll the others have beaten the hell out of each other - then go mop up the survivors!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:03 pm

No way! Charge into the centre of the battle and slaughter all who stand before you! Knowing the colours of the baddies, you could focus your attention on the stronger of the two enemy fleets, like a cunning tatical genius!

Styro

Post by Styro » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:51 pm

You would, of course, need to pre-emptively destroy all your wingmen so they do not steal any of your future kills. :)
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:13 am

I think that red dots is not quite such a good idea: A fellow student in my mathematics class can't discern red and green.
Wing Commander Skywalker

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:57 am

It could be optional.

---- BoxZone_Author Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too struggle sometimes with the Cyan and Green '+' on radar. Especially on the 'defend the ...' missions where it turns out that an enemy has slipped past my fleet and is ripping the guts out of whatever I was supposed to defend. By the time I notice the decrease in little Green '+' and then get there it's usually too late...

I think this is only a problem on the Radar and only with Cyan/Green. Even making the good guys a '+' and the bad guys a 'X' might help but an option for RED rather than race colour would be a big help. In a three way do you care who someone else is? If it's not green ... kill it. ----

Maybe not in this game, but once in RoN i tried the optional Red/Green, and it was difficult to trade with allies and tell nations apart, this is a completely different sytem and I cant say the enemy race by the colour without going to new game, selecting the race, and starting a new game!!
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:51 am

I am not suggesting that the red dots should not be used, but that the red colour should not be forced, in the same way that you are forced to play as the green player in the demo. I was suggesting that either the colour should not be red or that the colour should be red as default but changeable.

PS I agree with the maniac on the issue of multiple combat. The idea is to make yourself as hard to find as possible, so that the opponents kill each other first. After they kill each other, you can easily mop up the crippled vessel. It works in Ploy that way, though I do not even know the shape of the board for four players. It is one of the most basic tactical principles of three or more player conflict.
Wing Commander Skywalker