End of mission.

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

End of mission.

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:32 am

Here's a little something thats always bugged me.

How do you know when you've completed you missions' primary objective?

When you are tasked with taking out a single target like a starbase/shuttle/freighter, it is reasonably easy to see when you have done it, but sometimes it can be a real bear tying up all the loose ends.

I get really annoyed chasing around the screen looking for any convoy stragglers I might have missed, only to be told after thirty turns of dodging remaining enemy fighters, that the mission was completed ages ago.

This is just one example - another is that perhaps a friendly fighter from another squadron got the last turret/fuel dump/transmitter/radar...

What I'd really like is a 'primary objective complete' message so I can then decide wether to engage any remaining fighters, or head for home.

Obviously the 'fog of war' comes into play and there are many occasions when things aren't so clear cut - a convoy/radar site/fuel dump etc could be larger or smaller than expected.

BUT, (and I'm getting to the point at last!) if all the enemy fighters have been destroyed or hyperspaced, you are either informed that the mission is over, or if you've not destroyed all of the mission objectives the mission continues.

... so...

If the game knows that there are no enemy objects in the sector other than fighters, why doesn't it bloody say so!!

Of course, that's fair enough if the mission objective is to destroy the enemy fighters, but otherwise you're just hanging around exposing your valuable hide (and those of your 'indespensable' wingmen) to the remaining fighters when you could be on your way back to base for a nice cup of cocoa and perhaps a cucumber sandwich...

It'd be interesting to see what others think about this...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:46 pm

Hmm, I'm in two minds about this.

Firstly yes, I'd love to see a box saying, primary objective complete, particularly on attack asteroid base! Those turrets are excellant at hiding.

But, how would you know the objective was complete? Long range radar is obviously terrible saying things like: 'theres a load of observatories there somewhere' Intelligence doesn't know how many there are, so how would you know when you had finished.

Styro

Post by Styro » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm

I think his point was that since it (your base, presumably - talking about this in character, rather than as a game) knows if you completed the objective when the mission is over it obviously has some way of detecting success or failure. This information could be transmitted to your ship immediately upon completion of the objective. Of course, if your base knows where all the convoy ships are hiding why don't they just tell you where they are so you do not have to wander around the screen with your worthless wingmates running into asteroids the whole time?

But I digress. :) I like the idea of knowing when the objectives are complete. Were I to choose the implementation of this, I would vote for two little red lights (like LEDs) on the console, which would turn green when an objective was completed. Why two you ask? Well, I would also like to see the ability to set primary and secondary objectives in the mission editor. That way, your primary objective could be to destroy a particular Shuttle with a VIP and the secondary would be to destroy the other civilian ships. Or primary would be to destroy the enemy ships and secondary would be to destroy the static defenses (turrets).

Completing a secondary without a primary would still count as unsuccessful, but it would give more opportunities for credits and medals. It may also tempt you to stay "just a little longer" before hyperspacing so you can pick off those last two hospitals to get the extra bonus for completing your secondary objective - even though your shields are nearly all gone. :twisted:
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 am

I like the idea of knowing when the objectives are complete. Were I to choose the implementation of this, I would vote for two little red lights (like LEDs) on the console, which would turn green when an objective was completed. Why two you ask? Well, I would also like to see the ability to set primary and secondary objectives in the mission editor. That way, your primary objective could be to destroy a particular Shuttle with a VIP and the secondary would be to destroy the other civilian ships. Or primary would be to destroy the enemy ships and secondary would be to destroy the static defenses (turrets).

Now this I really like!

The possibilities are huge - in WWII, the primary objective of submarine and aircraft attacks on convoys were specific ships (or types of ships), rather than the destruction of a whole convoy - I love the idea of picking off a tanker while ignoring the 'lesser' ships...

Another example could be:

'Destroy the Transmitters and any resupply vessels encountered'

Am I imagining it, or did some of the earlier versions of CM list secondary objectives? I seem to recall something along the lines of 'take out the starbase and any civillian ships that get in your way'. Obviously, the game engine wouldn't support the secondary objective, it was just text in the mission briefing, but it did give a feeling of a greater depth to the game.
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:09 pm

I wholy agree. I can't count how many time I've assumed I've destroyed all mission-sensitive ships, hyperspace, and fail the mission because I forgot to kill one eject turret or something... It's really frustrating!!!
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!