[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - End of mission.

End of mission.

Command a squadron of spaceships

End of mission.

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:32 am

Here's a little something thats always bugged me.

How do you know when you've completed you missions' primary objective?

When you are tasked with taking out a single target like a starbase/shuttle/freighter, it is reasonably easy to see when you have done it, but sometimes it can be a real bear tying up all the loose ends.

I get really annoyed chasing around the screen looking for any convoy stragglers I might have missed, only to be told after thirty turns of dodging remaining enemy fighters, that the mission was completed ages ago.

This is just one example - another is that perhaps a friendly fighter from another squadron got the last turret/fuel dump/transmitter/radar...

What I'd really like is a 'primary objective complete' message so I can then decide wether to engage any remaining fighters, or head for home.

Obviously the 'fog of war' comes into play and there are many occasions when things aren't so clear cut - a convoy/radar site/fuel dump etc could be larger or smaller than expected.

BUT, (and I'm getting to the point at last!) if all the enemy fighters have been destroyed or hyperspaced, you are either informed that the mission is over, or if you've not destroyed all of the mission objectives the mission continues.

... so...

If the game knows that there are no enemy objects in the sector other than fighters, why doesn't it bloody say so!!

Of course, that's fair enough if the mission objective is to destroy the enemy fighters, but otherwise you're just hanging around exposing your valuable hide (and those of your 'indespensable' wingmen) to the remaining fighters when you could be on your way back to base for a nice cup of cocoa and perhaps a cucumber sandwich...

It'd be interesting to see what others think about this...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby Steve! » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:46 pm

Steve!

Postby Styro » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm

Styro

Postby cavemaniac1 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 am

The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby supercubedude » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:09 pm

I wholy agree. I can't count how many time I've assumed I've destroyed all mission-sensitive ships, hyperspace, and fail the mission because I forgot to kill one eject turret or something... It's really frustrating!!!
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!
supercubedude

Return to Critical Mass