Networked Multiplayer

Command a squadron of spaceships
Old Man Johnson

Networked Multiplayer

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:45 pm

If Sean decides to implement networking in the next version of CM, it would be cool to have like a Versus mode, where you battle enemies, and a Cooperative mode, where you do missions. Now, the Co-op mode would be sort of strange regarding death. I can think of 3 ways it could work: 1. If one (or more) commander dies, you load other commander file(s) (or maybe not, see below) in instead. 2. If one commander dies the game is over. This would really provide incentive to keep each other alive, but I think this could potentially cause a lot of annoyance.

I think there should also be some sort of way to load commander files and make them a multiple commander file.

For Co-op, there should also be some options. There should be like Multiple squadron type play, or maybe one player could play the commander, and everyone else would play the wingmates. That would be pretty cool. For the first type, you would need to make it so that the map size was larger for more players, and add more enemies. This would make Mission editor potentially more complicated...
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 pm

I think it'd be cool to play cooperatively in one wing, with the highest ranking commander being the wing leader. Maybe a commander should be able to play both single player and cooperative multiplayer missions during his career. Then, in multiplayer games, you get the commander's cash reserves pooled, then divided by the number of players in the game, or maybe just have the wing leader assign ships with his own credits. Either way, there would be a whole new squad tactics element in the game, with some pilots flying the lesser-armed recon craft and the fighters guarding the bombers and scouts.

Maybe for larger missions, each player would command his own wing.

My main question is as follows.

Should there be multiplayer careers, or should normal commanders just be able to play single player or multiplayer missions.

If there are multiplayer careers, we'd need a second roll of honor, and then perhaps players could be ranked, so that the highest ranked commander is always the squad leader, and once you reach a high enough rank, you would be able to command your own wing. I realize the more ideas we have for multiplayer, the more complex it would be to program.

Critical Mass is just one of those games that is great, yet still has great potential. I had this dream once that I was playing CM, but it was on a scale like Continuum(Sub Space), and it was just so cool. I dream about computer games, which would be sad if I had a social life outside of gaming forums!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:49 pm

And we could also have the 2 combined; 5 on 5 squad-based action or something like that. With mission objectives. Just thinking about it makes me itch to play something like that.
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 pm

I'd be for one player 'hosting' the mission and others joining as wingmen and being assigned ships by the commander.
If the commander dies one of the others is promoted to commander.
If a real wingman dies ... too bad and the remainder contimue to play.

Until everyone is dead.

A new roll of honour would be necessary.

qwas

Post by qwas » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:39 am

What about real squadrons attacking eachother
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:21 am

Team deathmatch style... fun... I also had an idea: Escape Pod Soccer...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Ha ha hah a!!! That would be great.
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 pm

I had the idea when I ejected with my right side towards an asteroid field and my escape pod went between a couple asteroids...