Last Stand

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Last Stand

Post by Legacy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:32 am

I was playing, and there was something about the Alamo on, and I had an idea.

If the enemy(or your team) is defending something like a Starbase or planet, or any other very important target, it would be a fight to the death, especially if it was the only base in the area or a sector operations command center.

It may not be by choice either, perhaps the commanding officers implimented a hyperspace jammer to keep pilots from saving their own tails at the expense of the target. The limit on hyperspace would only work for the defenders, as the attackers could always break off if they find themselves overwhelmed, and the defenders wouldn't have the capacity to jam the attackers' hyperspace drives.
Last edited by Legacy on Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:50 am

Gret idea!

I've always wanted to be able to instruct my wingmen to 'do or die'. I get fed up with them high-tailing it as soon as they get scared or when I have to eject because they've unloaded all over my ship for no readly discernable reason.

Just stick around and finish the durned mission already!

Of course, the main reason for not having this feature is that the enemy squadrons hyperspace as soon as they lose their leader - as do yours.

But for missions like defending vital facilities and leaders, it would add an extra dimension to the game if the enemy fought to the last man - or you could order yours to do the same...

Further comments or thoughts anyone?
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:11 pm

I would like greater control over wingmen. I also think that when you eject or die or whatever, instead of them running for their pathetic lives, your second in command (second ship, I guess) should become leader. The AI would then decide whether to run or fight or whatever and issue appropriate orders.
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah good thought, so the main things I'd like to see in wingman control options: Telling them when to eject or hyperspace, last stand option for defending critical installations, and a succession from wing leader to second in command... Maybe a feature to assign them targets?

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:25 pm

That would be nice too, if maybe a little complicated. I also miss the "Retreat" order that was in the original CM. What would be great is if you had almost the same commands, but could give them to wingmen individually.
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:40 pm

I've seen wingmen with a scratch decide to eject and others that have been blown to shreds (but still a viable 'fighting' ship, must have at least one launcher and some missiles left) continue in a battle when crippled. I've not worked out why yet.

I would really like to be able to control when ships hyperspace. Especially my 'scout' wingmen when they run out of missiles they are still useful for finding the enemy. Please let me force them to stay in the battle.
Last edited by BoxZone_Author on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:41 pm

If you hyperspace, I can understand the wing doing it, particularly if you ordered them to 'do or die' then ran away when you lost all your armour. But if you eject or fight to the death, they should also fight until ejecting or death on defence missions where you order them to 'do or die'.

In other words, you should be their role model, if you fight to critical damage point, so should they, if you hyperspace or eject at the first sign of danger, they should do the same. Probably very hard for Sean to program though!

On missions like defend earth, the wing should stay and fight to the death, but you could argue the interstellar empire extends far beyond earth and there are plenty of other planets/installations to fall back to. If earth is going to fall, you may as well cut your losses and withdraw...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:59 pm

That's a pretty cool idea, but I fear I'd get even more wingmates killed if they try to emulate me...

Guanchao

Oookaaayyyy....

Post by Guanchao » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:57 am

I agree with Steve!'s idea, but I can't help but agree with Legacy here either...

If MY wingmen trys to copy me, at my current strength, it'll be a relatively simple mission; I tend to spread Plectrons over a small area, it tends to kill really, really fast; if my wingmen copied me, all of the missions gets easier, a lot easier.
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.