[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Self Inflicted Artificial Plateau

Self Inflicted Artificial Plateau

Command a squadron of spaceships

Self Inflicted Artificial Plateau

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:24 pm

I've never got past mission 60 (on CM4 anyway) and I'm begining to think I know why...

I'm a 'by the book' kind of guy. If I'm tasked with the destruction of a shuttle, I simply steam in, take it out then Hyperspace. No messing around hotdogging with the enemy fighters. If there is nothing in the mission orders about engaging fighters, I don't. The way I see it, my job is to protect the lives of my wingmen and complete as many missions as I can, as efficiently as possible.

This, I think, is leading me into trouble...

As I tend to avoid unnecessary contact with enemy fighters (probably around 1/3 of the missions - all of the defend/patrol missions are fighter on fighter missions by default) I tend to get slower promotion, less medals and have less personal kills than I could have, but I keep advancing to tougher missions.

That's where the trouble starts - I wonder if I'm being assigned missions that are too hard for me with the ships available to me and my wingmen.

:roll:

Of course, the chances are excellent that I'm complaining about nothing, and I wouldn't be given these missions without having made the appropriate rank, and having a squadron of the appropriate calibre...

Just wondering if anyone had any insights...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby Styro » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:04 pm

From what I can tell, the missions are assigned based on rank, so the opposite would actually be true. The faster you advance in rank, the quicker you see the harder missions. Perhaps you are just extremely unlucky. :)

On the other hand, you may get rewarded more money for more kills or better medals, which would allow you to buy better ships. We do not really know what the exact calculation is for money, however, so this is just speculation. From what little experimentation I have done, I have not been able to see any real pattern in the money. It always seems to be a very small amount (around 5 credits for successful missions).
Styro

Postby Steve! » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:32 pm

I can never resist the urge to kill as many enemy as possible. I don't know the figures, but gold crosses give you LOADS of credits (in comparison to no medal). So maximise your gold crosses and you can upgrade faster. I know you need a certain number of kills or something to go up ranks, I'm guessing the same applies for difficulty, but I'm not certain.
Steve!

Postby BoxZone_Author » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:52 pm

My suspicion from observation is

Promotions (and hence harder missions) are based on kills.

Money is based on missions completed, success and as Steve has said medals (Gold Crosses are work a lot in comparison to everything else). Therefore you are probably better off not killing unnecessary civilian ships if you want to maximise cash and minimise promotion (and hence hard missions).

I always stay until I am badly damaged or run out of missiles and if I make it past about mission 40 I last until I do something terminally bold (or a wingman nails me from behind).
BoxZone_Author

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:43 pm

I usually fight either to death or ejection. The only time I eject is if I have lost my missile launchers and my repair bots to repair them. This makes me die sometimes, but I also get a lot of good medals.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:55 pm

Legacy

Postby cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:28 pm

The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Return to Critical Mass