Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Command a squadron of spaceships

Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Post by R.Quinn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:54 pm

I first encountered Critical Mass in its older, 2-D form, and I have to say that I prefer it to v3.0 and v4.0, largely because (nostalgia aside) it is a much more challenging game:
- Your squadron is limited to a max of six ships, but the enemy squadron is allowed as many as twenty
- You aren't allowed to buy the best ship in the game (Dreadnought), but your enemies will fly as many as five of them against you in later missions
- The best ship available to you (Cruiser) can't hold more than 36 missiles, the selection of which is not customizable
- Certain mission types become extremely difficult, if not impossible, to complete late in the game (such as "rescue" missions)

To further increase the difficulty, there are funny/frustrating game-breaking glitches:

- Late in the game, when there are a ton of objects on-screen (mostly ships and missiles) at the start of a mission, your missiles will usually "disappear" right after you fire them, as if they never existed; this happens continuously until some of the smaller enemy ships get killed off, allowing for more objects on-screen
- I've had the game freak out on me with a "Ran out of pieces..." error several times, which seems to immediately kill a random ship on-screen (see orange circle in attached screenshot) so as to reduce the total number of on-screen objects back below the allowable threshold
- When selecting a squadron for "Attack Enemy Home Planet" very far into the game (Mission 100+), your ships disappear after you place them, but you are still charged credits; this happens repeatedly until you are out of credits and can no longer buy even a single ship for the mission, effectively ending the game

It's a blast to fly six Cruisers into massive dogfights and push this game to its limits; 600+ kills in, I'm still having fun. Any others of you who still play this version?
See attached for "Ran out of pieces..." screenshot
error2.JPG (50.07 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

Re: Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Post by wafflebaby » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I would like to. I'm waiting to see if Sean will send me an installer or a link to an installer.