Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Command a squadron of spaceships
R.Quinn

Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Post by R.Quinn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:54 pm

I first encountered Critical Mass in its older, 2-D form, and I have to say that I prefer it to v3.0 and v4.0, largely because (nostalgia aside) it is a much more challenging game:
- Your squadron is limited to a max of six ships, but the enemy squadron is allowed as many as twenty
- You aren't allowed to buy the best ship in the game (Dreadnought), but your enemies will fly as many as five of them against you in later missions
- The best ship available to you (Cruiser) can't hold more than 36 missiles, the selection of which is not customizable
- Certain mission types become extremely difficult, if not impossible, to complete late in the game (such as "rescue" missions)

To further increase the difficulty, there are funny/frustrating game-breaking glitches:

- Late in the game, when there are a ton of objects on-screen (mostly ships and missiles) at the start of a mission, your missiles will usually "disappear" right after you fire them, as if they never existed; this happens continuously until some of the smaller enemy ships get killed off, allowing for more objects on-screen
- I've had the game freak out on me with a "Ran out of pieces..." error several times, which seems to immediately kill a random ship on-screen (see orange circle in attached screenshot) so as to reduce the total number of on-screen objects back below the allowable threshold
- When selecting a squadron for "Attack Enemy Home Planet" very far into the game (Mission 100+), your ships disappear after you place them, but you are still charged credits; this happens repeatedly until you are out of credits and can no longer buy even a single ship for the mission, effectively ending the game

It's a blast to fly six Cruisers into massive dogfights and push this game to its limits; 600+ kills in, I'm still having fun. Any others of you who still play this version?
Attachments
error2.JPG
See attached for "Ran out of pieces..." screenshot
error2.JPG (50.07 KiB) Viewed 3938 times

wafflebaby

Re: Challenges/Bugs of old version (2.0)

Post by wafflebaby » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I would like to. I'm waiting to see if Sean will send me an installer or a link to an installer.