[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Self destruct for missiles

Self destruct for missiles

Command a squadron of spaceships

Self destruct for missiles

Postby McLauren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:45 pm

picture this situation: you are flying a small ship and you need to destoy a Super turret. Attacking it from the front isnt even an option. So you manuever your ship to its rear and fire off a plectron. However, one of your much more powerful wing ships has fired a yatari and 4 plectrons at the thing from the front. you destroy it in one shot but now you have his missiles bearing down on and you dont have enough thrust to out manuever them. But no matter, you click end turn and he detonates the missiles before they hit you and you move on to the next target. You also do likewise when you accidentally send 3 daycorn screaming to the rear of one of your own ships. Freindly fire is a serious issue on this game and its quite unreal to not have any safety precautions whatsoever on such powerful weapons. Anyone else agree?
McLauren

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:03 pm

Yep. In fact, my most recent commander died the same way; my 2 wingmates fired 2 Geenees, 1 Daycorn and 2 Plectrons at a Shuttle. I was on the other side. Bye bye me.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Father Of All Victories » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:52 pm

I fully agree. No doubt friendly fire is a problem for all.
But then what would be the use/interest of the Drachan missils?
Father Of All Victories

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:51 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:28 am

Legacy

Postby Steve! » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Steve!

Postby Quitch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Quitch

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:18 am

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Steve! » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:10 am

My problem is when I'm in between an enemy and a friendly. I've had a wingman launch 4 plectrons into my rear armour before because I was between him and a slow moving warrior.
Steve!

Postby Father Of All Victories » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:20 pm

1) Friendly fire is a real problem, but it is also an element of tactics which gives spice to the game. (Steve! is right concerning this point)
2) While indisputably dulling dogfight self destruction as viewed by Mc Lauren raises true difficulties :
Example A : missils are aiming at an ennemy ship but they are still rather far from it so there is no need for self destruction of course a) though the ennemy ship is about to bank abruptly so as to try and avoid them, which ennemy ship the missils will follow b) whereas a frindly ship will then just find itself cutting them off and get damaged.
Example B : missils tend to aim at some friendly ship so self destruction operates whereas a) the fellow pilot is perfectly able to avoid them b) those missils would have just stricken an ennemy ship.

Similar situations are just too many to be mentioned and it seems BETTER TO simply LEARN a) to remain cautious and carefully watch out for frienly fire possibilities and b) not to fire in a number of situations when a friendly ship might be hit and c) to recognize whether it is even so worth taking the risk and fire (according to certain strategical or tactical considerations) and d) remain cautious even when firing Drachan missils (I've seen some of them hit asteroids so why not friendly ships).
Father Of All Victories

Postby qwas » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:10 pm

????

Without friendly fire, everyone gets to lvl 1,000,000 as soon as they buy the full version!!
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:11 pm

Not necessarily; I die pretty often from enemy missiles too. However, they're supposed to be shooting you. Your wingmates aren't supposed to gang up with them against you.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby McLauren » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:58 am

War isnt about making sure your soldiers are ebing challenged enough. Its about winning with as little casualties as possible and a star empire shouldnt ignore a technology that is so simple yet can save so many pilots. I think there are more ways to make Critical Mass more challenging and strategic. The common military practice of surround and crushing an enemy force is self-defeating at best in CM because the surrounding force often annihilates itself in the process of destroying the target.. That kind of mindless destruction is just strange.
McLauren

Postby Quitch » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:53 am

Pffft to the fluff, it's the gameplay that matters and IMO the gameplay works as is and works well.
Quitch

Postby Old Man Johnson » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:52 pm

True, though I still do find it irritating to have to watch out for your wingmen as well as your enemies.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Next

Return to Critical Mass