Self destruct for missiles

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:53 pm

Freindly fire is a serious issue on this game and its quite unreal to not have any safety precautions whatsoever on such powerful weapons. Anyone else agree?
A few weeks ago I would have agreed with you as I was sick of getting blown up by 'friendly' fire... But I now see things differently.

I've been reading a seriously cool science fiction trilogy which features spacecraft combat with missiles ('combat wasps') which bears more than a passing similarity to Critical Mass.

The basic premise is that it is taken as read that all ships in the combat zone will be using chaff/decoys and electronic countermeasures.

Any disarming/self sestruct orders could be jammed or even control over-ridden, giving control of the missile to the enemy.

Because of this, the missiles are completely autonomous, doing their best to home in on their intended prey, using basic sensors - something that can't be fooled by countermeasures (radar, heat, light, drones, chaff), like visually seeking and following a target. And before you say the missile should be programmed to recognise friendly ships or IFF signals(identification friend or foe), remember - there will be jamming, viruses, trojan horses and all maner of electronic warfare devices working against the missiles (delicate) higher functions leaving it reliant on less sophisticated methods of target aquisition.

No, I'm happy with the missiles the way they are, it's the wingmen who need work!

Even just being able to give more detailed instructions to our wingmen would help - being able to issue a 'hold your fire' order would help!!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Combat wasps... The Reality Dysfunction?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:23 pm

Wait, in The Reality Dysfunction the fighters are just basically AI controlled missiles with anti-matter shotguns built into them, so that may not be it...

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:52 pm

Combat wasps... The Reality Dysfunction?
Hey, well done! I wondered if anyone would get the reference!

The Combat Wasps carried many and various loads - ECM, nukes, kinetic ('solid shot') etc, and all had multiple warheads (sub-munitions).

My point was, in 'The Reality Dysfunction', all ships in the area would fire off multiple autonomous missiles which could prove as deadly to friend as to foe...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:38 am

Makes me want to finish reading... I got interrupted by other books and never finished. I liked the organic ships that mated as they dove toward a gas giant...

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:41 am

I loved how it contained multiple stories and such, I love how epics really make the universe that may be fictional seem very real.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 am

I loved how it contained multiple stories and such, I love how epics really make the universe that may be fictional seem very real.
Hooo yeah!

Space opera on a massive scale..!

Just trying to find the final book in the trilogy so I can see how they're going to get out of it alive!!

Excellent books, but I think we're going to get growled at as we're just a teensy wee bit off topic now!!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:57 pm

I've only read about half of the first book, and I can't find the other two locally, and I ain't keen on buying books new anyway, it's just one of many that I'm on the lookout for. I buy boxes of books from sales and such for a couple bucks a box then sort it out later, so I tend to have a strange variety of books.... a lot of books...

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:24 am

I ain't keen on buying books new anyway, it's just one of many that I'm on the lookout for. I buy boxes of books from sales and such for a couple bucks a box then sort it out later, so I tend to have a strange variety of books.... a lot of books...

Hoo boy, me too!

I've got a stack of books over 8 feet tall I've not read yet (actually, they take up around two and a half shelves on my 4ft wide bookcase!) that I've picked up all over the place, as they present themselves, so I was never stuck for something to read... Until 5 years ago that is!

I then took off on a two year world trip (I'm from New Zealand) and ended up living in England for five years! Now my books are in boxes in my mums spare room, 12,000 miles away!

I've been reading any old rubbish that was lying around but recently got sick of it and went out and bought a **New** book. Ooooohh, the excitement of putting the first crease in the spine! I picked up The Reality Dysfunction without realising it was book one of a trilogy - so now I'm hooked and I've GOT to see how it works out!!

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:07 pm

Anyone up for a book exchange? Bet most readers in this forum are Sci Fi addicts.

Fusion

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:23 pm

Guys, you're seriously Image

Create a new thread to discuss book swaps!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:38 am

Forums were made to go off topic, it is the nature of advanced human thought patterns...