What tools do you use to make the game?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Quorad
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 pm

What tools do you use to make the game?

Post by Quorad » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:29 pm

What code is the game coded into?
I would like to tweak the settings and functions a bit.

What are you working on right now?
日本語がわかる。

User avatar
Sean OConnor
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:47 am
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: What tools do you use to make the game?

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:30 pm

Quorad wrote:What code is the game coded into?
I would like to tweak the settings and functions a bit.

What are you working on right now?


It's all written in C using MS Visual C++ 6.0, but the source code isn't available so I'm not sure how you'd be able to tweak things?

Quorad
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by Quorad » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:38 pm

http://www.hnc3k.com/crackingtoolz.htm

It's a site that I can maybe use to decode and tweak Critical Mass.
It's a maybe. But I will try later ok?
I'll let you know of anything I find out about cracking/dissasembling your game.

But Thanks for the info:)
日本語がわかる。

TheKangaroo
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:26 pm

Maybe that's just me but that really sounded like: 'Hey, I'm gonna steal your car tomorrow, but I'll send you all the speeding tickets I get.'

User avatar
Legacy
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Wellsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Legacy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:20 am

Indeed...

User avatar
sid6.7
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:07 am
Location: WEST USA
Contact:

Post by sid6.7 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

i forsee trouble in your future quorad....
if you run..you'll only die tired

User avatar
Old Man Johnson
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:38 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:53 am

Yay speeding tickets! :P

But seriously...that's...unnerving, Quorad...
My webcomic:
Image

User avatar
Legacy
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Wellsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Legacy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:35 am

I mean, I am all for pirating software from corporations like Microsoft and Adobe who overcharge, but not from small developers and independent programmers. It's like shoplifting from Wal-Mart compared to stealing produce from a farmer. It won't hurt Wal-Mart if you walk out with a bag of chips, but if you take a bushel of potatoes from a farmer, it's a measurable portion of goods for that individual.

Quorad
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by Quorad » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:49 pm

I already bought all the games people.
:|
And I wasn't like going to do anything bad.
:|
I am a good person but I can do very evil things. But I only do evil to those who I see as scum.
(Scum includes people who hate school, police, government, military, laws, rules, restrictions, and other things that make life good)
(Sean is cool and I support him and his decisions)
(And don't forget people who deface ANYTHING, make viruses for bad purposes, and people who make popups and annoying things on the internet)

I am a person who has an extremly good sense of right/wrong idea.

Argh you people.
日本語がわかる。

User avatar
BoxZone_Author
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: UK (back from USA)
Contact:

Post by BoxZone_Author » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:53 pm

Legacy wrote:I mean, I am all for pirating software from corporations like Microsoft and Adobe who overcharge, but not from small developers and independent programmers. It's like shoplifting from Wal-Mart compared to stealing produce from a farmer. It won't hurt Wal-Mart if you walk out with a bag of chips, but if you take a bushel of potatoes from a farmer, it's a measurable portion of goods for that individual.

Either it's right or it's wrong. If it's wrong to steal from the little person, it's wrong to sleal from anyone.

User avatar
sid6.7
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:07 am
Location: WEST USA
Contact:

Post by sid6.7 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:35 am

Quorad wrote:I already bought all the games people.
:|
And I wasn't like going to do anything bad.
:|
I am a good person but I can do very evil things. But I only do evil to those who I see as scum.
(Scum includes people who hate school, police, government, military, laws, rules, restrictions, and other things that make life good)
(Sean is cool and I support him and his decisions)
(And don't forget people who deface ANYTHING, make viruses for bad purposes, and people who make popups and annoying things on the internet)

I am a person who has an extremly good sense of right/wrong idea.

Argh you people.


funny you should say that hacker...since the website you posted
above is a big hack site that attacks users with a number
of dialer programs when you click on it...
if you run..you'll only die tired

umeboshi110
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:37 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by umeboshi110 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:43 pm

i really dont think hes stealing anything. its not like hes gonna go and sell a customized version of CM (from what he says, i hope its true)

User avatar
Sean OConnor
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:47 am
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Quorad wrote:http://www.hnc3k.com/crackingtoolz.htm

It's a site that I can maybe use to decode and tweak Critical Mass.
It's a maybe. But I will try later ok?
I'll let you know of anything I find out about cracking/dissasembling your game.

But Thanks for the info:)


You won't be able to regenerate the source code by dissasembling my .exe file though. I'd imagine that it would be an absolute nightmare trying to add any new features that way, and you're better off just requesting them here!

Re-writing the game yourself from scratch would probably be easier.

Quorad
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by Quorad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:16 pm

Ok, I have to answer all these things now...

1. Legacy, it's wrong to steal from anyone.
2. Sid6.7, I am no hacker. I didn't know it uses dialer programs of which you speak of. And I use a high security computer and nothing like that can get through.
3. Umeboshi110, I am not stealing anything. I already bought the games. I don't sell anything. I am not that skilled to sell anything let alone customize CM. And I wouldn't cheat Sean out of any money. I don't do those things. I am not up to bad things.
4. Sean O' Connor. Note that I haven't tried anything yet. And I might not try using those things on that website. It's potentially dangerous stuff there and I don't want to download anything from that site. I would like to edit things for my own taste. Some things others might not like.
Like I want to edit the standard ships and make them better in ways.
Add more damage to the yatari and have it cost more.
Can we get more credits based on how we did?
Can the enemy use our custom ships? Or at least our side?

OH and a simulation scenario. Like you choose what you are up against and what ships are in your squadron and credits don't matter. But you don't get any credits and it doesn't matter if your killed or not.
And choose a specific ship the enemy uses in the mission editor. Like only using drones and nothing else regardless of credits. And how many enemy ships in the squadron. Simple things like that.

But those things are beyond me. Some are, some are not. But I bet you don't have time for all of those. And some people would be against the more expensive yatari that does more damage.
Why do drones need command centers? THEY'RE DRONES!!!
日本語がわかる。

User avatar
Legacy
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Wellsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Legacy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:46 pm

I hate school and certain aspects of our local government, does that make me scum?

Post Reply