What tools do you use to make the game?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:56 am

I hate things about most of his categories. I am scum too.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 am

Legacy wrote:I mean, I am all for pirating software from corporations like Microsoft and Adobe who overcharge, but not from small developers and independent programmers. It's like shoplifting from Wal-Mart compared to stealing produce from a farmer. It won't hurt Wal-Mart if you walk out with a bag of chips, but if you take a bushel of potatoes from a farmer, it's a measurable portion of goods for that individual.
Ummmm.... okaaaaay. That was a bit odd coming from you, Legacy :? .
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 am

hey, i was trying to support u u know, and its not going to change my feeling of wat ur doing, even if u tell directly tell me that ur not up to no good (not that i doubted u much) because u pretty much said it already

well, too bad it cant be modified

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Why do drones need command centers? THEY'RE DRONES!!!
They need the command center just like any other ship to house the communication and control electronics. (Or does the word 'command center' actually imply there has to be a human being in there?)

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:03 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:
Why do drones need command centers? THEY'RE DRONES!!!
They need the command center just like any other ship to house the communication and control electronics. (Or does the word 'command center' actually imply there has to be a human being in there?)
Drones are usually unmanned.
That makes escape pods useless.
Last edited by Quorad on Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
日本語がわかる。

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 am

So civil disobedience is still disobedience?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:43 pm

I again disagree. For example important data (the famous gun-camera?) might be useful for evaluation and training purposes, furthermore there might be parts of the drone that are hard and expensive to replace, making an effort to recover it logical.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:59 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:
I again disagree. For example important data (the famous gun-camera?) might be useful for evaluation and training purposes, furthermore there might be parts of the drone that are hard and expensive to replace, making an effort to recover it logical.
But having an extra effort to save those small pieces is going to increase the cost.
And would be bulky and less manueverable.
I would expect that drones are essentially just one big missle with a lot of fuel and can fire missles. So would it still be logical to put an escape pod on a yatari? NO!!
日本語がわかる。

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:15 pm

Well, you expect them to be like that, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:06 pm

Except that Yataris don't fire missiles or avoid them. Yataris can't be deployed as combat craft. So Drones are more valuable; something has to be making the decisions (probably a computer) and might be relatively hard to replace.
My webcomic:

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:35 pm

The Drone is clearly manned in this game.

How do I know? Well, you can fly it. If you get shot, you die. That sounds manned to me... so it clearly needs an escape pod.

You can argue about whether a drone ought to be manned, but it is.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:01 pm

But I thought the definition of drone was unmanned. I might be mistaken. But I am positive that I am right that drone means unmanned.
日本語がわかる。

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:11 pm

That's only one use of the word.

Traditionally, "Drone" was a bit like "Grunt" or "Brute" - it referred to something rather simple, but useful in numbers.

In particular, a drone is a type of wasp - I think the basic fighter.

In recent times, some-one else has adapted the word to mean something simple and basic which can be churned out in large numbers - still true to the original concept - but in this case, it's an unmanned vehicle.

So in other words, you'd usually expect a spaceship called a "Drone" to be unmanned, it's true. But that doesn't have to be the case - in Sean's world, the pilots are obviously poorly paid and poorly trained, in cheap ships - and so they're called "Drones", just like the basic wasp fighter.

(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Alex wrote:That's only one use of the word.

Traditionally, "Drone" was a bit like "Grunt" or "Brute" - it referred to something rather simple, but useful in numbers.

In particular, a drone is a type of wasp - I think the basic fighter.

In recent times, some-one else has adapted the word to mean something simple and basic which can be churned out in large numbers - still true to the original concept - but in this case, it's an unmanned vehicle.

So in other words, you'd usually expect a spaceship called a "Drone" to be unmanned, it's true. But that doesn't have to be the case - in Sean's world, the pilots are obviously poorly paid and poorly trained, in cheap ships - and so they're called "Drones", just like the basic wasp fighter.

(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)

HAHAHAHA

I noticed you think drones are wasp FIGHTERS.
HAHAHA
Drones mate with the queen, they aren't fighters. All other bees are sterile.(I think)
So the drones are just used for sex.
They aren't fighters.
日本語がわかる。

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Quorad wrote:I might be mistaken. But I am positive that I am right that drone means unmanned.
Quorad wrote:
Alex wrote:(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)
HAHAHAHA

I noticed you think drones are wasp FIGHTERS.
HAHAHA
Drones mate with the queen, they aren't fighters. All other bees are sterile.(I think)
So the drones are just used for sex.
They aren't fighters.
**Shrugs**.

My point still holds - that use of the word comes way before the concept of unmanned craft. So, positive you may be, but "drone means unmanned" is wrong.