Page 2 of 3

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:56 am
by Garnier
I hate things about most of his categories. I am scum too.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 am
by Fighter_Ace
Legacy wrote:I mean, I am all for pirating software from corporations like Microsoft and Adobe who overcharge, but not from small developers and independent programmers. It's like shoplifting from Wal-Mart compared to stealing produce from a farmer. It won't hurt Wal-Mart if you walk out with a bag of chips, but if you take a bushel of potatoes from a farmer, it's a measurable portion of goods for that individual.
Ummmm.... okaaaaay. That was a bit odd coming from you, Legacy :? .

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 am
by umeboshi110
hey, i was trying to support u u know, and its not going to change my feeling of wat ur doing, even if u tell directly tell me that ur not up to no good (not that i doubted u much) because u pretty much said it already

well, too bad it cant be modified

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:15 pm
by TheKangaroo
Why do drones need command centers? THEY'RE DRONES!!!
They need the command center just like any other ship to house the communication and control electronics. (Or does the word 'command center' actually imply there has to be a human being in there?)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:03 pm
by Quorad
TheKangaroo wrote:
Why do drones need command centers? THEY'RE DRONES!!!
They need the command center just like any other ship to house the communication and control electronics. (Or does the word 'command center' actually imply there has to be a human being in there?)
Drones are usually unmanned.
That makes escape pods useless.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 am
by Legacy
So civil disobedience is still disobedience?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:43 pm
by TheKangaroo
Drones are usually unmanned.
That makes escape pods useless.
I again disagree. For example important data (the famous gun-camera?) might be useful for evaluation and training purposes, furthermore there might be parts of the drone that are hard and expensive to replace, making an effort to recover it logical.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:59 pm
by Quorad
TheKangaroo wrote:
Drones are usually unmanned.
That makes escape pods useless.
I again disagree. For example important data (the famous gun-camera?) might be useful for evaluation and training purposes, furthermore there might be parts of the drone that are hard and expensive to replace, making an effort to recover it logical.
But having an extra effort to save those small pieces is going to increase the cost.
And would be bulky and less manueverable.
I would expect that drones are essentially just one big missle with a lot of fuel and can fire missles. So would it still be logical to put an escape pod on a yatari? NO!!

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:15 pm
by TheKangaroo
Well, you expect them to be like that, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:06 pm
by Old Man Johnson
Except that Yataris don't fire missiles or avoid them. Yataris can't be deployed as combat craft. So Drones are more valuable; something has to be making the decisions (probably a computer) and might be relatively hard to replace.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:35 pm
by Alex
The Drone is clearly manned in this game.

How do I know? Well, you can fly it. If you get shot, you die. That sounds manned to me... so it clearly needs an escape pod.

You can argue about whether a drone ought to be manned, but it is.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:01 pm
by Quorad
But I thought the definition of drone was unmanned. I might be mistaken. But I am positive that I am right that drone means unmanned.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:11 pm
by Alex
That's only one use of the word.

Traditionally, "Drone" was a bit like "Grunt" or "Brute" - it referred to something rather simple, but useful in numbers.

In particular, a drone is a type of wasp - I think the basic fighter.

In recent times, some-one else has adapted the word to mean something simple and basic which can be churned out in large numbers - still true to the original concept - but in this case, it's an unmanned vehicle.

So in other words, you'd usually expect a spaceship called a "Drone" to be unmanned, it's true. But that doesn't have to be the case - in Sean's world, the pilots are obviously poorly paid and poorly trained, in cheap ships - and so they're called "Drones", just like the basic wasp fighter.

(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:15 pm
by Quorad
Alex wrote:That's only one use of the word.

Traditionally, "Drone" was a bit like "Grunt" or "Brute" - it referred to something rather simple, but useful in numbers.

In particular, a drone is a type of wasp - I think the basic fighter.

In recent times, some-one else has adapted the word to mean something simple and basic which can be churned out in large numbers - still true to the original concept - but in this case, it's an unmanned vehicle.

So in other words, you'd usually expect a spaceship called a "Drone" to be unmanned, it's true. But that doesn't have to be the case - in Sean's world, the pilots are obviously poorly paid and poorly trained, in cheap ships - and so they're called "Drones", just like the basic wasp fighter.

(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)


HAHAHAHA

I noticed you think drones are wasp FIGHTERS.
HAHAHA
Drones mate with the queen, they aren't fighters. All other bees are sterile.(I think)
So the drones are just used for sex.
They aren't fighters.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:42 pm
by Alex
Quorad wrote:I might be mistaken. But I am positive that I am right that drone means unmanned.
Quorad wrote:
Alex wrote:(Disclaimer: not all details may be 100%. But that's more or less it. Also in Sean's case, I suspect he just didn't think about it.)
HAHAHAHA

I noticed you think drones are wasp FIGHTERS.
HAHAHA
Drones mate with the queen, they aren't fighters. All other bees are sterile.(I think)
So the drones are just used for sex.
They aren't fighters.
**Shrugs**.

My point still holds - that use of the word comes way before the concept of unmanned craft. So, positive you may be, but "drone means unmanned" is wrong.