New User - NEED HELP W/SHIP DESIGN

Command a squadron of spaceships
Woundwort

New User - NEED HELP W/SHIP DESIGN

Post by Woundwort » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:49 pm

I just purchased the full version, and I like it a lot. But I'm having trouble with the ship design window. I can create the hull, but I can't figure out where to place the ship systems. (Also, the ship design window looks wierd - like it's not displaying at the proper resolution or something.) Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:29 pm

Ok, I think I might have part of the answer to your question.

I know the ships look funny sometimes because it's 2d pretending to be 3d.
Try different resolutions. What are your computer specs? (Just wondering if you know)
Place ship systems evenly around the ship so if one area is hit you won't die so fast.
I like to use 4 command centers. 1 on each side and 2 in the front along with 4 radars and 2 missle bays.
1 missle bay on each side helps with random destruction of components.
Try not to place too many shields on the rear.
If you have good turn of 67-70 then you only need 2 blue shields that cost a sum of 8 each or 16 all together.
I like to place 1 radar on each side if it is a search mission or 2 cloack to a side if I put scouts in my squadron.
I generally put 2 rows of genees and 1 row of plectrons for a good dogfight weapon arsenal. not too weak but not too strong. just about right.
Stealth helps alot for surviving enemy attacks that are too strong. And help avoiding death when you are crippled.
side shields are good, but don't overload. about 4-6 is a good number based on the components that are present.
I like to get lots of front shields for head-on attacks. Careful not to take a plectron if you have blue shields.
Radar isn't all that good. Because once you find them then they will kill you. Stealth helps more than radar in my opinion, you can sneak up behind them and hit them from behind and they won't even see you.
I tend to place repair bots in the back and maybe one on each side if I have room.

But then again it is your custom ship and you will gain knowlege yourself after playing this great game.
日本語がわかる。

Woundwort

Post by Woundwort » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 pm

It's a Dell laptop (Precision M60), Windows XP, 1680*1080 resolution on the monitor screen.

The problem is not deciding where to put the systems on the ship, but where to put them in the ship design window. I've tried dragging the system icons onto the design space, onto the summary sheet, everywhere - they aren't added to the design *at all*.

I downloaded the complete games package, paid for, so it's not a license issue...

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:47 pm

Did you try to edit the default ships? You can't edit those.
You have to make a new one under the custom tab.
日本語がわかる。

Woundwort

Post by Woundwort » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 pm

Nope - I was trying a new design from scratch.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Hmmm......

Did you have too many components? Can you show me a picture?
I have to go now... See you.
日本語がわかる。

Woundwort

Post by Woundwort » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:29 pm

This is what my window looks like...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Woundwort wrote:This is what my window looks like...

I think it's because you've got your font size set larger than "Normal" so all your dialog boxes get bigger, but I draw things at a fixed number of pixels across. Look at Display Settings | Appearance | Font Size.

Woundwort

Post by Woundwort » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 pm

I just checked - font size is set to "Normal".

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:50 pm

I think maybe the resolution is too high; I think some have run into that problem.
My webcomic:

Woundwort

Post by Woundwort » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:49 pm

I tried lowering the resolution on my display - that didn't help either. I ended up loading the game onto my old Windows 98 machine, and the designer works fine there. Cest la vie.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:50 pm

1024x768 is always high enough for me, and really, it's as low as i go too. I played CM on one of htose projectors, and it was cool seeing it so big, even if it wasn't quite the experience of playing Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 on the wall.