Ideas for future CM! Post yours!

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 pm

If we're talking squadron AI issues, I'd like a simple pair of commands:

Hold fire - We all know there are situations where this would save our lives, and the lives of other friendlies.

Attack target - The ships under your command will focus on one specific target. Would be especially useful against turrets, factories, starbases, and other target objectives.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

shrike

Post by shrike » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:35 am

Ignore Target wouldn't be a bad command either. I hate watching my wingmates fire entire spreads of missiles into light shuttles.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:24 am

What? You don't like to see your wingmates unleash 50 to 100 missiles toward one desperately diving twisting turning little shuttle?

I just hate to see them waste so many missiles.

DarJones

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 am

Yeah these command would be usefull. I have discover some tips, stay in formation, formation Collum and tigth, and you can go to objective whitout firing any missile.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:24 pm

the space predator wrote:Yeah these command would be usefull. I have discover some tips, stay in formation, formation Collum and tigth, and you can go to objective whitout firing any missile.

I'm not fond of the idea of having them behind my back like that...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:30 pm

The column formation actually is quite underrated. With the right spacing you can just dart through the enemy defense squadron and attack your primary target with ease using it.
You meet the enemy squadron, and because at that point you are the only ship of your flight they can make out, they will turn inside you and - since you stubbornly stay on course - position themselves behind you for a fine and easy shot. That's when your #2 could fire a shot or two... If you don't happen to run head on into an enemy squadron the column formation enables you to squeeze your whole squadron through that hole in their defence, too.