[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Ideas for future CM! Post yours!

Ideas for future CM! Post yours!

Command a squadron of spaceships

Postby Legacy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:06 am

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Fighter_Ace » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Can guns fire in outer space? Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was kinda hard to do. I've seen it in movies but... ahh who am I to question. I'm no astronomer or anything.

Anyway, lots of great ideas portrayed in great detail. Very well written document. And, as I can easily see from the post, you're very dedicated and fully support your suggestions. I admire that.

As far as my two cents go though, I think many of these great ideas go beyond the scope of Sean's programming. He is after all only a one-man-army when it comes to making his games, and I doubt he can afford to spend so much time developing one game. From the sounds of it, seems like this would make CM into a more big name company creation. (Anyone ever played Deadlock II? By Accolade and Cyberlore Studios? *silence* THIS?! Image Ok... so that game goes back a little. Still, awesome old school game for Windows 95!) Anyway, I think this is probably more of a dream for some of us right now. Seriously, we huge CM fans can get a little carried away at times. I should know... I'm like.... the king of doing that about CM. Hehehe. In the mean time, still good to lay as many ideas as possible on the table. Who knows, maybe one will "click".
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby umeboshi110 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:50 am

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby Andy Brown » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:59 am

Andy Brown

Postby Legacy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:19 am

A conventional firearm can fire in space.

But I was thinking something more along the lines of railguns.

In either case, it is a mistake to write guns off as being impractical here. For anti-missile roles, a scatter shot cannon would be excellent. Against ships, well, during the cold war various tactical nuclear artillery pieces were designed. It's not too far fetched to think of tacking a warhead of some sort onto one of these suckers. Also, EMP rounds, as I mentioned before, would be considerably lighter than a general purpose nuke.

Legacy

Postby umeboshi110 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 am

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby umeboshi110 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:18 am

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby Empty Hat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 am

That would be good.

Would it be abstract or set in a universe.
Empty Hat

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 pm

Hmmm, I haven't thought too closely about it yet. I just realized one day I'd like to draw some explosions :D
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:48 pm

I've sort of started a CM back story to explain why my ship descriptions reference Earth so much, but it has nothing to do with the other races backgrounds.

It'd be wicked cool to see a comic.

Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:58 pm

Hmmm, you know, I recall seeing somewhere in the game some kind of story..maybe back in the 1.0 days. You know, something about the Critical Mass engine and like the 21st century or something? Anyone else recall something like that? Because I can't find it..
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Fighter_Ace » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Booyachaka! OMJ that would be awesome to see. I can almost picture it now... *is stunned... in advance*

@ Legacy:

Ok, so I am wrong. (Wasn't totally sure to begin with. :mrgreen: ) And yeah, an anti-missile thing might come in handy at times. However, I do think guns on the sides of your ship AND on the back would make you into more of a gun-pod that a space craft. Built-on turrets would make better sence at that rate. Why not go the whole 2π rads... 360?.
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Legacy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:03 am

Legacy

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:33 am

Fighter_Ace

PreviousNext

Return to Critical Mass