Query?

Command a squadron of spaceships
ima_gnu

Query?

Post by ima_gnu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:02 am

I bought CM ages ago, I dont remember what version it was, in about 2001-2002, somewhere in there I think. Anyways...I lost my floppy, it had the Sound Effects Gen too. Life went on. Anyways, just out of curiosty, I searched CM on google and found that the world of CM had continued w/o me! (holy crap, right). I d/l'd the Demo for 4.0, loved it, bought it. Today, actually.

I tried out the ship builder, which kicks monumental butt. It's freaking awesome. I built three ships already, very basic just pile o' engines and missile tubes w/ heavy shields, pure speed and pure stealth/radar. Thay arent as pimp as the ones I've seen by BZA, but ye. How do I play with them? I made them, how do I make them show up in the game when I'm playing?
I poop, therefore I am.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:37 am

keep thier cost under about 116 and you can...
they'll show up then...
if you run..you'll only die tired

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:39 am

what if they are super expensive? will they just not show up? or will it take a long time?
I poop, therefore I am.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:43 am

ima_gnu wrote:what if they are super expensive? will they just not show up? or will it take a long time?

yes it will take awhile...

BUT

you might be able to use this guys
program hes working on a CM tester
so far it seems to work fairly well
i can access alot more ships then before
BUT i dont know if i can access everything

http://andreausai.siteburg.com/index.html

you must read the instructions on the website
otherwise youll probably get confused....

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:51 am

Basically, what happens is that the ships won't show up unless they are at most a third of your credits. Since you start with 350, for them to appear initially requires a cost of 116 or less.
My webcomic:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:17 am

rofl, the most expensive ship I made is like 425. Crap.
I poop, therefore I am.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:58 pm

ima_gnu wrote:rofl, the most expensive ship I made is like 425. Crap.

Just create a script that plays CM for you and get loads of credits before you start.
That's how I test my ships.
If there is multiplayer I will go against you with my squadron :wink:
日本語がわかる。

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:00 am

pff I'm not that computer capable, I've never created a script past the level of a Counterstrike buy script....maybe an alias or three, once, a long time ago when I was really involved. I don't remember how to do it anymore. Explain it to me?
I poop, therefore I am.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:14 am

You really miss out on most of the fun of Critical Mass if you skip to the 'super ships' with loads of credits. Some of the most interesting choices you make are the ones you do early on to pick a defensive ship vs an offensive one or good scanners vs good shields. If you can afford evverything it's less fun.
I'm sometimes tempted to stop playing my big commanders at about 50 missions because there the excitement goes down when the risk of dying goes down.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:43 am

ya but I'd just like to play my highest ship, just once, too see if I suck at ship design as bad as I think I do. I play the game from the beginning, but I just want to test my big ship. Which requires (If it has to be less than a third of my total money) that I have nearly 1500 credits. At a maximum of what, 12 credits per mission, this means I have to DOMINATE about 100 missions. I quite literally do NOT survive that long. Some gay freaking hit will knock my block off. Or I eject and my pod gets hit instead of my ship. Stuff like that. So I'd just like to paly that ship and see how it feels. (BTW I stole the design from my old version of CM and made it the top view of the USS Enterprise :D:D:D:D)
I poop, therefore I am.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:07 am

BoxZone_Author wrote:You really miss out on most of the fun of Critical Mass if you skip to the 'super ships' with loads of credits. Some of the most interesting choices you make are the ones you do early on to pick a defensive ship vs an offensive one or good scanners vs good shields. If you can afford evverything it's less fun.
I'm sometimes tempted to stop playing my big commanders at about 50 missions because there the excitement goes down when the risk of dying goes down.

hes really talking about testing ships he made...not winning the game...

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:15 am

my cm tester was intended to test any ship, not necessarily the most expensive ones! and I'm making it only available to proven ship makers!
(actually, the current version doesn't allow to directy select the ships, but I'm working on this... :roll:)

ima_gnu, you simply don't need your 425 credits ship at the moment, this is why it's not available... :wink:

ima_gnu wrote:So I'd just like to paly that ship and see how it feels.

how does it feel having a ship more powerful than the enemy does? :? I don't think it would be so much fun...
Last edited by n-drx on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:19 am

sid6.7 wrote:hes really talking about testing ships he made...not winning the game...

that's true! thanks sid! :)

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:41 am

ya it kinda sucks. No challenge, just run and gun.

Have any of you guys seen Star Trek Nemesis? I modeled a ship after that pimp freaking Romulan ship. Four missile tubes, eleven stealth thingies, and fairly strong (But not impenetrable) shields. The performance is...mediocre, at best. But its fun ti fly around. Plus I made a ship I called "Sneak" and its just one thrust, two turning engines, two radars forward and one to each side, a toob and cmd center, and a pack of stealth. Its pretty cool. I use it to hunt down that elusive freighter or polotician, I just power right through the enemey formation, they barely shoot at me and dont turn to fight. Its great :D
I poop, therefore I am.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:51 am

I liked that movie, though all the reviews said it was bad. Guess I'm just a Trekkie die-hard.
My webcomic: