[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Simple curiosity

Simple curiosity

Command a squadron of spaceships

How frequently do you make use 1) of the AVOID CONTACT order command? 2) of the CIRCLE order command?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 am

Avoid contact: very often
No votes
Avoid contact: often
9%
Avoid contact: sometimes
18%
Avoid contact: seldom
18%
Avoid contact: never
27%
Circle: very often
9%
Circle: often
No votes
Circle: sometimes
No votes
Circle: seldom
9%
Circle: never
9%

Total votes : 11

Simple curiosity

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:55 am

Between ourselves, how frequently do you actually make use of the Avoid contact order command and what for/in what kind of situation ? Can you please give examples ?
Same for the Circle order command.
Thanks
-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 pm

Well, I sometimes use 'Avoid Contact'. If I do it's usually after the objective has been reached (e.g. all primary targets destroyed) to either make my squadron disengage and hyperspace or to get rid of them because I want to take on the remaining enemies myself.
TheKangaroo

Postby Thegreatnick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:24 pm

Same as above except in reverse. Once all the enemies are taken care of, I smite the objectives with great power and all that.
I use circle just before I'm in line with the "Defend stranded ship" mission, so the enemies get to the ship basically when it's between the other ships.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.
Thegreatnick

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:49 pm

Sorry... This is the first poll I submit and I realize I should have made two polls (1 for Avoid contact and 1 for Circle) cause now only one option can be selected (viz either concerning Avoid or concerning Circle)... :oops: :oops:
As for me, I (rarely) happen to use CIRCLE (when I want my wingmates to stay in the vicinity of objectives that have to be defended) >>> seldom. I never use AVOID CONTACT cause my ships tend to get away/out of the screen, not to intelligently avoid ennemy ships/hide from them.
-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:49 pm

I had a dream? I had commands
1) to give orders such as: "Fire at close range only"; "Spare ammunition"; "Concentrate on primary objective"; "Get back to the leader";
2) to give individual orders as well as collective orders (especially to assign individual objectives or to order a certain ship to "Hold fire") -- a way to prevent a Crow from firing dozens of daycorns into a comet miner or a passenger liner, not to say a wormhole, while a Vampire (or a Falcon or a Superdrone) is vainly spending rows of plectrons for a spinning ennemy it will never hit -- or a way to recover some possibility to manoeuvre once ennemy turrets have been spotted without getting entangled and nearling drowned into curtains of blind missils carelessly fired from afar and that will simply end into some asteroid somewhere;
3) ordering my ships to simply follow a direction (shown by the leader) without any specific formation (maintaining right distances was no more their major preoccupation especially while approaching ? I dare not say getting round ? asteroids).
Last edited by Fuzzy Wonky on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:45 pm

I, uh, only use Search for Enemy. I just want my wingmen to blow up stuff. If I need to defend something, I just hang around it.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Fighter_Ace » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Did I mention commands "Hey, that's MY prey!" and "Get out of my way!"? There should be such commands indeed. Cause now my commander got killed... :evil: :evil:
-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:19 pm

Alex

Postby sid6.7 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:27 pm

sid6.7

Postby Son Johan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:15 am

*sigh* Humans...
Son Johan

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:17 am

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky