Cancel Hyperspace

Command a squadron of spaceships
qwas

Cancel Hyperspace

Post by qwas » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Just now I was playing and I decided to hyperspace, then I got onto the tail of an enemy, but I had already hyperspaced before I could kill him, any chance of adding a cancel hyperspace feature?
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:40 pm

That would defeat the point of hyperspace.

Hyperspace is a method for getting you out of battle, you have to think VERY carefully before using it because there is no going back. I personally prefer it that way, much more tatical.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:52 pm

What Steve said. Otherwise you just hit hyperspace on first contact, and if everything's fine with 1 turn left you cancel it, rinse and repeat. That would get you out of a lot of holes without ejecting.

[Edit: without ejecting :roll: . Must learn to type right]
Last edited by Bob Janova on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:39 pm

Besides that, it makes you confirm your choice so there should be no "oops" involved.
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:06 am

Add my vote to the "No cancel Hyperspace" pile for reasons already stated by others.

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:49 pm

What he said. BZA.
Yippee.
Although maybe we ought to hear what qwas thinks as well. Reasons for it etc.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

qwas

Post by qwas » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:27 pm

Well, one thing, it would probbaly like that in real life, and its especially annoying when youre like a newb and you dont know or whatever and u click Hyperspace and youre trying to gain medals and to get as far in rank as possible...
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:48 pm

If the hyperspace takes the ships reactor 7 turns to charge, that?s a lot of power, perhaps the hyperspace drive doesn?t have an effective cooling system to deal with dissipating that kind of power, hence cancelling hyperspace would blow the engines or something.

There's an option, you could cancel hyperspace but there?s a certain chance, 50% maybe,(or even dependant on for how long its been charging) that it will fail to cool down and blow up, permanently disabling hyperspace and rear engines as I always feel hyperspace should need at least one rear engine to function. (that way crippled ships cant hyperspace).

But I think its fine as it is.
Last edited by Steve! on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:49 pm

The trouble is: Once you've initiated the Critical Mass Jump sequence, it CAN'T be aborted - you'll jump weather you want to or not!

Think of it like an aircraft that passes the point of no return - you're committed. You should have thought a bit more carefully about pressing that button...

:D

I usd to play an older version of CM that only had a 5 (?) turn hyperspace and getting used to the 8 turn jump was a steep learning curve!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:00 pm

Actually that gives me a good idea for a missile, a hyperspace disrupting missile thats as fast as a daycorn with as limited fuel, on contact with a hyperspacing ship its blows the hyperdrive, stopping the hyperspace jump and blowing out all remaining rear engines. It would have little or no effect on a normal ship. Useful for when the cowardly warrior you've just spent 6 plectrons blasting to bits, hyperspaces away.

Also when all rear engines are destroyed, the red engine glow should stop and there should be loads of smoke :)

socks

Post by socks » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:43 pm

but would you like to have an anti hyperspce missile bearing down on you when you are trying to exit the arena?

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:39 pm

Well personally I usually withdraw from combat to hyperspace, when I've taken too much damage or run out of missiles. Waiting 7 turns to get out in a dog fight is too long. If im in serious trouble and cant withdraw I usually eject.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:05 pm

As hyperspacing out of a dogfight to save your life usually means your ship has taken a couple of hits already an anti-hyperspace-missile would be quite pointless as it would be way more effective to just fire another regular missile and blow the ship up.