(ECM) Electronic countermeasures

Command a squadron of spaceships
Steve!

(ECM) Electronic countermeasures

Post by Steve! » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:20 am

I have seen several people discussing chaff as anti-missile defense. I have a suggestion that I feel would add similar results without adding extra clutter to the screen and seriously complicating the game (though it may be complicated to program :)).

The solution, why ECM of course, an added internal componant that has a stackable 5% chance to disrupt the guidance system of any enemy missile tracking the ship. I imagine a maximum of 8 per ship would be good giving a maximum deflective bonus of 40%. Perhaps more or less, depending on what effect it has on the game.

Also an idea for a new type of armour - the force field. Its not a recharging armour,and it would be as strong as a regular shield BUT all force fields on a ship must be destroyed before regular armour/internal componants may be damaged. I think it should cost 8 or more points, meaning careful use of regular armour would get better results, but the force field would add good flexibility. My only worry is it might be too effective as rear armour.

What do people think?

Thegreatnick

Re: (ECM) Electronic countermeasures

Post by Thegreatnick » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Steve! wrote:The solution, why ECM of course, an added internal componant that has a stackable 5% chance to disrupt the guidance system of any enemy missile tracking the ship. I imagine a maximum of 8 per ship would be good giving a maximum deflective bonus of 40%. Perhaps more or less, depending on what effect it has on the game.

Ok. I like it I like it. But would it have a 5% of deflecting a missile per turn. Or if the missile was effected, would I remain disorintated permanently? OR would it be turn based, so that a missile would vear off for one turn, but then gain full homing abilities next turn?

Steve! wrote:Also an idea for a new type of armour - the force field. Its not a recharging armour,and it would be as strong as a regular shield BUT all force fields on a ship must be destroyed before regular armour/internal componants may be damaged. I think it should cost 8 or more points, meaning careful use of regular armour would get better results, but the force field would add good flexibility. My only worry is it might be too effective as rear armour.

What do people think?

Hmm. So it's basically another layer of shields? I don't know. It'd if you get hit in the face with a plectron or five, but it would add to the mass horribly I'm assuming, and again, people may just make Tanks with 8 layers of super shields (2 on each side).
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

socks

Post by socks » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:42 pm

i remember ECM on my craft when i used to play elite in the 80's (on my bbc micro), it was damn useful then

i also remember the military lasers but thats another story

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:53 pm

The force field would be weak as a normal shield and expensive. Its huge advantage is that if your constantly hit from one direction all your force fields assist in taking damage. However a ship worth an equivilent points cost of normal armour, carefully distributed around, would be much better at surviving missile attacks from all directions as the shields would last longer than force fields.

Also the force fields wouldn't distinguish. If you want to use force fields to protect your rear, a few hits on the front is going to drain all your force fields and leave your rear vulnearable.

Eg
Ship A has 4 front armour, 2 side armour each side, 2 rear armour
Ship B has 4 force fields

3 hits to the rear/one side, ship A is history, but ship B retains one force field
3 hits to the front, 1 to the side, 1 to the rear, Ship B bites the bullet but Ship A retains 5 shields!

Ship B needs exactly 5 hits to kill it, ship A requires between 3 and 11 (however survivng 8-10 hits would be almost impossible, I think Ship A would take approximately 5-6 hits but its far more varied in survivability)

And yes, people who get to high levels could build a super force field ship with 32 force fields, but that would cost a hell of a lot. And if piloted (very) well, a 32 super shield ship would still have a similar/better survivability.

I'm not sure if force fields are a good idea. I just always imagined shields as armour as it was direction dependant. External shield bubbles would be nice.

Guanchao

Post by Guanchao » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 am

Nah... not a good idea.

Better off with in-game upgrades (not ship design) like a distortion field, or bullet guard, since Distortion fields does not work on missiles very well.

As for ECMs... it should do something like clicking on the ECM icon and trailing small objects that has the same effect as asteroids, except the ability to be destroyed.

so 8 ECMs total would game 8 chances to completely avoid damage to the back, with the exception of tracing Drachans.

Personally I prefer bullet guard, for example, a cost of 100 credits for 1 level of Bullet guard, each level being able to withstand one Mton's worth of impact, or lower the damage taken down to one item other than Command centre (and have the effect fail once there's only 25% of inner equipment left)
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.