GAAAH!!!

Command a squadron of spaceships
drwhite7

GAAAH!!!

Post by drwhite7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:28 am

GAAAAAAAHHH!
CURSE THESE D*M WINGMEN!
GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

I just started really playing CM and had a commodore on around the twentieth mission, the furthest I have ever been. During a mission, I was right up against the back of a still enemy Cruiser and was chuckling at the thought of launching some plectrons straight into its rear the next turn when along came a one of my wingmen who fired four missiles of various type (geenees and daycorns I believe) into MY rear, which by now had no armor remaining. That was the end of my best commader thus far...

Well I feel better now that I've written about this traumatic experience. What's up with wingmen AI anyway? In later missions (commander and above for me) I get killed by my allies more than by my enemies (really)!!!!!

Share your frustrating and painful CM experiences here guys so we can share our suffering :)

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:29 am

Hey guys

I just joined Sean O'Connor's forums because of this experience by the way. This was my first post.

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:34 am

NOOOOO WHAT THE HELL

I quit that game when I died because I was so mad and now I can't get back in to get my commander on the Roll of Honour! Why does it do this? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........

qwas

Post by qwas » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:17 pm

To stop cheating your saved game is deleted when you die.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:54 pm

Mistake! You won't do that again ;) ... we've probably all done it once (quitting in anger, that is).

Yeah, wingmen are dangerous things, particularly if you're flying an Eagle class which doesn't have any rear armour to speak of.

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:18 pm

Ah I see. Yeah that would be an easy way to cheat.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:50 pm

I've got the perfect 'GAAAH!!!' for you:

Defending one of our Starbases I took several hits and found myself crippled with an enemy ship right on my tail, so I ejected. Good thing I did too as the enemy immediately destroyed my ship.

The only problem was a nearby Strabase defence turret - he fired SIX missiles, one per turn, at the enemy ship which was pursuing my escape pod.

It was a heart stopping, helpless experience watching those missiles skim past my pod, turn after turn, until one finally hit me.

GAAAH!!!

:roll:
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 pm

you could even be saying GAAH!!! in your picture! Was that taken at that exact moment?
I poop, therefore I am.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:30 am

Im an admiral on mission 80 or so now... I soon will be saying gaaah I guess, once I die. :wink:

The thing is, I'm not dying! I have a ship that costs the same as a warrior that im flying, and its way better. So the computer doesnt have any better ships than me, so its hard for them to kill me. I have about 15 gold crosses and 15 MooCs.

Its fun to put a 4 plectron blast into a crowd of enemy warriors and barbarians.... aaa..
The key is to have a good custom ship(4 repairs, 4 command centers, lots of turn and armor). I made a cheap mostly radar ship to fly around as my eye, which has helped a lot. That way I dont need to waste much room on radar for my own ship.

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:05 am

How do you get your custom ships to show up though? I made some ships including a radar one, but they don't show up a lot and never when I really need them. Are the ships you get to choose from each mission completely random? Or is there some criteria, like you get watchers or bombers for seek and destroys?

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:11 pm

I think the ship selection is completely random, although I haven't studied it in detail. I don't think custom ships appear less than the built-in ones ? I've waited five missions for a Falcon or Eagle before, too.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Ship selection is not quite random (across cost) but the probability of a custom ship coming up is equal to each non-custom ship of about the same cost.

Thus the secret to getting the custom ships you want is to use all 39 of the custom ship slots.

If you check out my ships you will see I have a lot in the 115 to 145 range to be (almost) sure that I get the choice of one of my ships at this early stage when I really need it.

socks

Post by socks » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:55 pm

and post copies (or upgrades) of ships you prefer to increase frequency

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:06 pm

and post copies (or upgrades) of ships you prefer to increase frequency

Upgrades certainly, I'm all for a "family" of ships but exact duplicates is dull. Tweak the copy a little, fly each for a while and decide which you like better.

socks

Post by socks » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:30 pm

on the way up the ladder i am always aiming for an increment of 10 on each upgrade

ie i only ever use one ship, which i reinvent with a small increase of 10 each time