Intimidation factor?

Command a squadron of spaceships
ima_gnu

Intimidation factor?

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:45 am

I just played a mission where my wing consisted of three Capital Cruisers. The enemy squadron was like a Super Watcher, a Dreadnought and a Cruiser, and assorted Drones. They encountered JUST my wingman, myself and the other wingman were FAR out of range. Aquisition was one turn, and the VERY NEXT turn the whole enemy squadron was hyperspacing. Like, their engines turned yellow and the ran, all yellow-like. Why? It was an ambush-the-slowly-moving-enemy type mission. They ran from ONE of my ub3rships. Why?
I poop, therefore I am.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:09 am

Did you blow up a drone? If so it was likely the enemy wing leader was flying that drone. That would cause the remaining ships to hyperspace.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:24 pm

Ive seen this happen, where if the enemy sees how powerful I am, they all hyperspace, even if I have only seen enemy civilians.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:50 pm

Didnt even fire a missile, not until their countdown had reached five turns to hyperspace. They just took off.
I poop, therefore I am.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:18 pm

imagine, because ive been playing firefight a fair bit, that its ww2. your trundling about in your jeep and come across a big ass tank. these things rarely travel on their own and you know the best your sides got in the area is more jeeps, with maybe a machine gun or two - your going to leave in the quickest bar one way you can, and advaise all you can tell to do the same. they might just be models, but your not gonna run up and ask them are you now???
________
Express
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:59 pm

OTF

I have no idea what the point behind your post was :P
I poop, therefore I am.

Guanchao

Hmm...

Post by Guanchao » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:31 pm

I agree with the entire destroy enemy leader drone (My friend has come to call all weaker enemy leaders drones) and everyone fleeing.

Oh, and before I forget, has anyone been able to play a game that lasted about 500 missions?
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:21 pm

Um, not yet. I have gotten to about 225, but he died. Right now am at 135.
I poop, therefore I am.

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:24 am

And I as usaul cant reach mission 20
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 am

I've never played to a 500 mission level. I know that I could presuming the game didn't bomb out for some reason. I just don't like playing beyond about mission 150 because they get too easy to win.

I have a current commander on mission 157 with 146 successes and 700 kills. He is running 3 maxed out ships (Betelgeuse model) and a couple of other smaller ships that are mostly just enemy bait.

For those who want to do so, there is a way to save your game and resurrect your commander. I don't because half the fun is in winning by skill, not by back door saves.

Fusion

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:22 am

Fusion_power wrote:I just don't like playing beyond about mission 150 because they get too easy to win.

True... but that's because you lack custom missions, especially really advanced (tough) ones (there are no such missions available on this site and I haven't seen any on other sites). I made mine (up until now I could successfully test 32 custom missions and half of them are really challenging ones for commanders beyond 100 missions). Anyway I've come to think there's got to be a limit (due to various limitations of the game) we have to face one time or another but IMO that limit is much higher (should I say much further?) than mission 150 (provided all custom mission design box possibilities are really made use of).
As I searched the forum I noticed people mostly put the focus on ships (particularly high end ships) or on performance (medals, survived/successful missions, kills) and tend to completely forget about custom missions. I hold the view that high end ships are of little value without high end missions for you to use them.
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

qwas

Post by qwas » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:51 pm

How do you do the ressurect thing?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:07 pm

rofl, ya. I know that you could do it in the old version I had, but I've never tried in this one. That would be handy, you could keep your dude alive forever!
I poop, therefore I am.

qwas

Post by qwas » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah...but how?

Guanchao

Post by Guanchao » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:55 am

I managed to keep my top Straylian commander alive for 485 missions, using a full team of my best designs (7 ships costing 424 credits each, yeah, it took a loooooooooooong time) but I got killed by a Turret Super; too much firepower.

Then again, every mission I design had too much firepower: One mission involves running past several turret rings (and a lot of flying Drachans) to destroy a single Radar ring on the other side, enemy ships not withstanding. And since there was an Ambush mission, I made an "Ambushed" Mission, where it was as much other way around as possible.
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.