What is your favorite class of default ship?

Command a squadron of spaceships

What is your favorite class of default ship? (for yourself, not wingmates)

Super Watcher
6%
Phantom
6%
Eagle
22%
Dreadnought
17%
Hurricane
22%
Shark
6%
Nightmare
11%
Warrior
11%

Total votes: 18

drwhite7

What is your favorite class of default ship?

Post by drwhite7 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:59 am

Well, what are everyones' favorite default ships? I used the most advanced ship of each class to represent its whole ship family. Hmmmm, I don't know which is mine yet. I'll have to think about it. I couldn't fit all of the classes into the poll so if your favorite is not up there, then just post it.

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:06 am

I'm going to go with the Eagle class because they pack a lot of firepower with 4 missile bays and plectrons and are also quite affordable. You can use them at early missions, which is nice. I almost went with the Phantoms because of their combinatin of firepower and good stealth, which is very useful and deadly.

The Warrior class is too expensive and by then I have access to a lot of my nicer custom ships. I don't like the Hurricanes much even though they have lots of missile bays because I'm not much of a fan of daycorns (too weak, not much fuel, just use geenees).

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:45 am

Yep, Falcons and then Eagles as they become available.

They've got fire power to spare and they're pretty tough - unless struck from behind, then you kiss your sweet a** goodbye!

In early missions I've been known to use a Super Watcher - if a Falcon or Eagle is unavailable - due to its survivability.

As I used the Eagle class so extensively when I first got CM, my custom designs tend to be based on Eagles because I like the way they handle and I've got used to their missile load out. Of course, my more expensive designs have all the goodies 'missing' from the standard Eagle class ships - stealth, repairbots and better shields.
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 pm

Hurricaine for me. Reason being it uses the same missiles as all my custom ships, has repair and reasonable turning. Though I never fly it anyway cause I use my custom ships.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:07 pm

Falcons and Eagles for me (and even Kestrels if nothing bigger appears). The ability for the 4-plectron volley is not to be under-rated!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Actually, if I havd to pick a default, it would be the fear/terror/dread/nightmare series. I just like having 79-81 degrees of turn. Keep the ship moving though, cuz with next to no thrust, you are a sitting target for several turns if you run into something.
I poop, therefore I am.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Yes, I can see why that would be nice. I don't like their missile choice, though, and they're a bit light on missile bays and shields too to fit in all those engines.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:38 am

I really like the Hurricane class, because that ends up being pretty much the way I build my own ships. They're a little light on missile launchers at the lower end, but they make up for it with repair bots (very very useful). The armor's a bit low but they blast through stuff without much problem and are decently manueverable. The lack of stealth and sensors is also a problem on my custom ships so I kind of get used to it. :wink:
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 am

I Really don't like to fly anything other than my own custom ships. But if I have to (wich is very rare as I'd usually go with a Bear claw before a stock ship) I go for the Phantom class.

If you want to survive you need stealth and lots of command centres.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Ooooh. Now this is an interesting thread.

I had no idea that people would favour such a spread of ships. While all standard ships are created with their own strengths and weaknesses, I assumed that there would be one class that simply WORKED best and it'd be the favourite.

Roll on multi player - THAT'LL soon determine which is the best ship!

:D
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:44 pm

i think that tiger would be the best wingmate, but i choose dreadnought cuz it looks cool and all of the default ships arent good enough for me :D

EDIT: haha, i said custom instead of default. .......

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:22 am

Dreadnought all the way! I love the amazing design and their great selection of missiles! Their armor is pretty dang good, too! They also make excellent turret terminators! My 'lil bro make almost all his designs off them. I have to admit, they are expensive, but definitely well worth the wait!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:43 am

i think that tiger would be the best wingmate

Yeah they do make really good wingmates. I once had one that survived over ten missions.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:05 am

No favourite class, only ships.
I only fly standard ships for the very first missions of a game and then I could choose one of those: Super Watcher, Mega/Ultra Drone, Python, Crow/Raven, Falcon, or Terror.
Exceptions only for Barbarian or Warrior which I happen to make use of during the game (I would gladly have two or three more stealths on them though cause when flying those, one becomes an automatic target for all and any ennemy?).
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

Guanchao

Post by Guanchao » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:36 pm

My personal favorite is usually an Eagle or Fear class ship, since I tend to extensively play as Ryckurn.

Also Daycorns are useful for scaring the heck out of enemy ships; I can use them to "force-eject" my opponents as so to take out the ships to get medals.

Can anyone say what is the best thing about Major Engagement missions?

Favorite wingmen... generally all computer designed ships-Custom designed units tend to kill me faster than my enemies.
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.