A daft niggle, certainly not worthy of it's own topic...

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

A daft niggle, certainly not worthy of it's own topic...

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:19 pm

Scenario:

Your ship has taken a beating. An enemy ship is closing in. You click on the enemy ship and note, to your horror, that he not only has a free missile bay, he also has sufficient missiles remaining to blow you into the middle of next century.

You make the hard, but nescasary, decision to eject.

You hit the eject button and....

...you get a message that you don't control this ship so you can't order it to eject!

It's because you've selected the enemy ship.

My point is:

As you can't tell ANY OTHER ships to eject, why do we get the message (which you've then got to clear, then select your own ship, then hit eject again, all while you're stressed and emotional from being forced to eject anyway!!) instead of just ejecting from the ship you DO control?

It's the same for hyperspacing, which I could understand this if you had direct control of your wingmen (ordering them when to eject/hyperspace or whatever), but you don't, so all commands you issue to eject or hyperspace must surely pertain to your own ship.

Just a minor niggle, but it BOTHERS ME!

Something to fix next version?

Damn, but I need a life...
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:20 am

It's slightly useful is the case where one of your wingmen is flying the same ship as you, and you are looking at them and you get distracted and return to the game to see 'your' ship looking all beat up and decide to eject. The game warns you you are looking at the wingman, not your own ship.

(Yeah I know I had to stretch the scenario a bit for that one) 8)

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:32 am

I would think the game bases all actions based on which ship is selected, and therefore doesn't know what to do when you tell another ship to eject or hyperspace. Otherwise I guess it might get confused and not know which ship to eject/hyperspace. I really don't know anything. This is all conjecture here.
My webcomic:

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:40 pm

It's slightly useful is the case where one of your wingmen is flying the same ship as you

Hmmm. That's certainly true I guess, though I usually select my ship by clicking on the left hand ship in the sqaudron roster at the bottom left of the screen.

I'd never considered the above as I VERY rarely have wingmen flying ships the same as mine - I design ships that I like to fly and have the firepower to complete the mission single handed. My wingmen have ships specially designed for them - i.e. loads of armour with limited missile tubes and light armourment so they can't unload a broadside into me!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...