Turrets with engines....

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Turrets with engines....

Post by cavemaniac1 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 pm

I recently found myself thinking.

This is something I usually try to avoid but I sort of had it thrust upon me.

I was trying to nail a 'disabled' enemy ship that had had a total engine failure. Disabled. I don't think so! Some of those ships are really dangerous, they may not be able to move fast, but they can still manouver and bring their missiles to bear.

Like turrets.

Ever noticed that while single turrets aren't much of a threat, massed they present quite a danger? They've got firepower to spare and masses of armour.

I found myself thinking:

What if I designed a ship specifically for my wingmen that is basically a turret with a few rear engines - a mobile turret?

I did this and was pleasantly surprised with the result - a robust, survivable mobile missile launcher.

I was so pleased that I made variations to suit different missions - heavy firepower for static target missions and dogfighting missile loadouts for patrol missions, plus, of course, variants at different price points.

This will probably not be news to the more experienced players, but I hope it will give people food for thought and stimulate new designs.

:D
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Can you post a picture/ship for us?

On a related note, arn't the turrets just tanks, but with less engines than normal?
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 pm

turrets are special ships without rear engines or thrust. they start out in place and cant move.

Guanchao

Post by Guanchao » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:06 am

Then how do the turrets get put into place? Tugs?

My friend tried a Mobile Turret idea once, and unfortunately, all my designs have incorporated that idea. If only I heard from this sooner...
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.