SO I was laying in bed...

Command a squadron of spaceships
ima_gnu

SO I was laying in bed...

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:44 am

....and I had a brilliant idea. Well, I think its brilliant. Actually, I wasnt in bed at all, but I figured that would get your attention. :wink:

So, my idea. Missiles should have a closer lock-on range against stealthed ships. Or at least I think so. Irritates me to no end, I have this deluxe new super-stealth bomber to go after static or near-static mission objectives. (eg crippled ship, shuttles, anything that doesnt move.) This ship doesnt have very good turning, or heavy shielding, so I will get hit by some lucky Orik and itll knock out half my stealth AND my turning, so I'm pretty much screwed. I think missiles should be affected by stealth. Thats it, my brilliant idea that I had while not in bed.
I poop, therefore I am.

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:17 pm

Yep. Totally agree with you there. If missiles can see through shields, why can't the ships?
Or it could be that missiles lock onto heat, which explains why they lock onto every ship, asteroid in it's vision. Hey. Shouldn't they lock onto other missiles if they're heat seeking? Wouldn't that be cool. Have a Drachan leading a bunch of oriks through an asteroid field.
And I'm assuming the ship's computer doesn't register every heat signature on your sensor, seeing as it could class every asteroid as a ship.
Don't know about the Drachans though. Maybe they're magic.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:49 pm

The missiles use mass detectors to find the nearest object and lock onto it. They accelerate using liquid fuel propellants. The drachan has a simple signal detector. Why else would you have a "call sign". Among other things, it prevents your drachan's from hitting your own ships. Your ships use a "Critical Mass" engine which blocks all mass detectors so your ship can't possibly see through stealth. Your ship has to use radar which however has the advantage that it can tell the difference between asteroids and ships. Thats why a missile can detect the mass of an enemy ship but your radar's can't. And vice versa, the missile can be fooled into hitting an asteroid when you really wanted it to hit a ship.

Fusion - who thought out this entire scenario 2 years ago when the stealth units were first put in the ships!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:05 pm

ok. So....let me see if I understand you, which I know I dont.

Missile = mass detector.

Radar = mass detector, affected by:
Stealth = mass cloaker.

So....if missiles are mass detectors, and radars are mass detectors with the ability to differentiate between ships and asteroids...why doesn't stealth affect missiles?
I poop, therefore I am.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 am

Close but no cigar.

Mass detectors work by detecting the gravitational field of objects. Radar works by bouncing an electromagnetic wave off of an object.

The Critical Mass engine prevents detection of gravitational fields so the ship is limited to radar.

Missiles use liquid propellants which permits them to detect gravitational fields via mass detectors. A ship is just another massive body to the missile.

The Comet Miner is a ship designed to extract hydrocarbons and oxygen from comets to be used as missile fuel. The Miner extracts metals from asteroids to construct the ships and missiles. The remnants of the asteroids and comets are used as fuel for the critical mass engine. The Water Tanker transports water from the Comet Miners to the factories where it is broken down into hydrogen and oxygen. The Fuel Tanker transports hydrocarbons from the Comet Miners. Freighters transport refined metals produced by the Miners and other materials used to fuel the ship engines. Look through the rest of the ships and you will be able to see how each of them fits into the scheme. Its pretty imaginative to say the least!

Fusion

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 am

Thanks for the more detailed explaination, the first one was a tad confusing. I realize the physical difference between a mass detector and radar, I didnt realize missiles came equipped with a different detection system than ships. WHICH MEANS:

I need a device to alter the gravometric shadow of my ship! Make it cost like FIVE MILLION DOLLARS!!! and it renders you impervious to guided missiles. w00t.
I poop, therefore I am.

Son Johan

Post by Son Johan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:04 pm

Yep, When I have to look for a surviving comet miner, a wormhole or a colonizer, I try to get myself a few oriks, make sure I'm nowhere near an asteroid, and I launch my Orik, and chase it. It is likely to defect from it's original course, and so I find the oh so stealthed target with no difficulty...

If I have enough missiles leftt, I sometimes just keep shooting them every 5-7 turns, and in the end, the target abandonds and my mission is a success....
*sigh* Humans...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:41 am

Actually you're safe as long as you shoot at least one missile every 29 turns, as the game will count that as "combat" and will reset the 30-turn timer.
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:03 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:Actually you're safe as long as you shoot at least one missile every 29 turns, as the game will count that as "combat" and will reset the 30-turn timer.

Thanks! That's great to know!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.