Few comments.

Command a squadron of spaceships
luk83

Few comments.

Post by luk83 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 am

1st On the one of admiral's missions it took up to 20 turns even after the enemy was spotted to gain ability to fire missiles. When i wanted to fire on the next turn the marked missile was gone but it wasnt lunched. It was the same with computer ships. funny wiew on a battlefield where there were planty of ships and no missiles fired. it happened twice so far

2nd on admirals missions missiles limit is deeply irritating. Because how am I suppose to get the gold cross with a ship worth 400 credits when after finishing off few barbarians i would like to kill more ships yet with two missiles its imposible. Its hard to finish mission objective as well because after the dog fight there arent enough missiles to destroy not moving targets.

3rd thing ( i said that its very hard to get a gold cross commanding the 400 credit ship) it happens that i have 20 and more hits and almost no enemies killed because when im shooting 4 plectrons into a ship , crippling it my wingman shoots one single missile and finishes him off getting the kill. That should be sorted somehow.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:38 am

I'm pretty sure theres a limiter on how many missiles can be fired on each turn. If fifty ships are trying to fire at the same time, theres nothing. I've fired four missiles, and had them all not fire, but disappear, except the last one, which fired normally. That is what leads me to believe that there is a limiter. My thought.
I poop, therefore I am.

luk83

Post by luk83 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:08 am

ima_gnu wrote: My thought.
maybe... yet there should have been any missiles and there werent. Only after some time flying around all ships started to fire

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:53 am

You clicked on missile, and it disappeared from your inventory, and yet did not emerge from the nose of your craft, yes? You, and at least 20 other ships on the level. This is what I'm talking about. When I say "I'm pretty sure" I actually mean I'm totally sure. Its a glitch in the game, perhaps. I don't know. Regardless, I know that I know what I'm talking about, and the reason that after a while the missiles started to fly is this: the small ships with few missiles are out and hyperspacing, therefore the game doesn't have to create as many missiles at the same time. For this reason, I could shoot four and the first three would not appear. Other ships would also try to fire one, two, three missiles, and not many fourth, and my fourth would fire.
I poop, therefore I am.

luk83

Post by luk83 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 pm

ima_gnu wrote: "I'm pretty sure" I actually mean I'm totally sure. .
R U TOTALLY SURE ? :lol: So how you will explain that on a defend politican mission where i added additional asteroids firld my squad didint show up and when the enemy squad (only one with the crow as a leader) spotted the politican they had the same problem... only after some time (none of them hypertensed) they started fireing.... :?

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:02 pm

??? I usually play a lot of custom missions with quite numerous ships/objects in addition to the whole set of standard missions but I have no memory of any such phenomenon... :?
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:08 pm

ya this happens to me too when theres too much stuff (mostly asteroids). i think that theres a limit to how many objects can be on a map at once, including asteroids, ships, and missiles. sometimes i dont even start off on the map! once, the game got seriously screwed up and it thought i was an enemy ai controlled ship! i couldnt control it and i couldnt select it until it came into my allys radar. i did hyperspace it out though

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:30 am

umeboshi110 wrote:ya this happens to me too when theres too much stuff (mostly asteroids). i think that theres a limit to how many objects can be on a map at once, including asteroids, ships, and missiles. sometimes i dont even start off on the map! once, the game got seriously screwed up and it thought i was an enemy ai controlled ship! i couldnt control it and i couldnt select it until it came into my allys radar. i did hyperspace it out though
Correct.
I poop, therefore I am.

luk83

Post by luk83 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:18 am

there shouldnt be any limits... and still i think sth is wrong with the game couse on the map were only one enemy squad and two asteroids fields...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am

Yes, there is a limit on the number of objects that there can be (300). It's much easier to program code with set limits rather than let arrays grow and shrink as you need them. I tend to choose a number that I think nobody will ever come close to - and then every time someone will go and design a custom mission that proves we wrong!

The game is slightly smart though. If it runs out of spare objects when you want to fire a new missile it will look for missiles that have run out of fuel and nobody can see any more and "re-use" them, if it can't find any of them it will try to re-use the least important missile it can find.

The big problem is if you make too many asteroid fields as they take up a lot of objects.

I'll up the limit to 4 or 500 in the next version, but every time I increase it a saved game will get bigger and the game will run slightly slower (although probably unnoticably slower)

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:06 pm

speed shouldnt matter so much, what with it being team based and all
________
CM450A
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:32 pm

I have a question!!

Sometimes, at least twice per mission, some missiles fired by some ship, sometimes me, usually me, well, those missiles take off at I'd guess roughly two and a half times normal speed. They still hold their fuel for the same amount of time, but the powered flight is physically much longer, becuase they are traveling so fast. They still turn and everything just fine. Just move very quickly. Does anyone know why? Or is is just a bug?
I poop, therefore I am.

luk83

Post by luk83 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 am

ima_gnu wrote:
? Or is is just a bug?
i think its a bug yet normally i like it because its more likely to hit the enemy however sometimes the fired missiles fly through the enemy ship without hitting it.

luk83

Post by luk83 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:59 am

ima_gnu wrote: Does anyone know why?
what I observed is thet it usually happens when I fire different types of missiles. My commander was just killed in his 189th mission while ejecting. Now I mourn. ;(

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:32 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too. Sometimes missiles move disproportionately fast for no apparent reason.
My webcomic: