Suggestion

A boardgame of intense bluffing
clear33765

Suggestion

Post by clear33765 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:06 pm

After reviewing a couple of other stratego games, including Hasbro's official game (which didn't rank well for the AI) and Reveal Your Rank (which I was unconvinced had any kind of challenging AI), I decided to purchase The General. I like the game very much but I have some suggestions.

1. I would like to arrange my pieces free form before a game instead of having pre-defined setups to chose from. Even if I can make my own setup free form in the modify setups, I would like the option to do it free form before each game.

2. While I agree with the game not letting you do the same back and forth 3 times in a row, it would be nice if this applied to the aggressor. Once the computer has a mismatch of pieces, it traps you into a back and forth situation and therefore you lose you piece because you are not allowed to move away from being taken.

As a kid, my brother and I always played that the aggressor was not allowed to chase a piece back and forth, erring in favor of defense.

3. I find the AI challenging up to a point, but in the end game it really falters. Even when I make a mistake and the computer has the advantage, even a big advantage, I still never lose because the computer fails to put the game away by not being aggressive enough

When down to only a handful pieces and the computer has the advantage, the computer can easily win by just attacking the last few pieces I have even if it means sacrificing its advantage position. The computers reluctance to attack pieces that have never moved at the end game always gives my the opportunity to win because I will just kamikaze my last couple pieces to find the flag.

Otherwise, great game Sean. It provides me a lot of stress relief at work. I'm a computer programmer myself, so I realize the effort to make such a game.

Sean OConnor

Re: Suggestion

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 am

clear33765 wrote:1. I would like to arrange my pieces free form before a game instead of having pre-defined setups to chose from. Even if I can make my own setup free form in the modify setups, I would like the option to do it free form before each game.

You can do this at the moment in the New Game dialog box. Choose any of the pre-defined starting positions to begin with and then you can click and drag any of the pieces around to fine tune it.

clear33765 wrote:2. While I agree with the game not letting you do the same back and forth 3 times in a row, it would be nice if this applied to the aggressor. Once the computer has a mismatch of pieces, it traps you into a back and forth situation and therefore you lose you piece because you are not allowed to move away from being taken.

Would it always be possible to tell who the aggressor was?

clear33765 wrote:3. I find the AI challenging up to a point, but in the end game it really falters. Even when I make a mistake and the computer has the advantage, even a big advantage, I still never lose because the computer fails to put the game away by not being aggressive enough

Yes, I'd have to agree with you there. I concentrated on the beginning and mid-section of the game but the AI towards the end does need improving. It needs to be a bit more ruthless and go in for the kill especially when it is up on pieces. It's just a matter of finding some free time to work on that.

clear33765 wrote:Otherwise, great game Sean. It provides me a lot of stress relief at work. I'm a computer programmer myself, so I realize the effort to make such a game.

Thanks!

clear33765

Post by clear33765 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

1. Cool, I didn't realize I could switch pieces around.

2. The fact that the computer traps me into giving up pieces is how it gets the advantage on me, so maybe not a bad thing. After learning the AI's technique, I use it myself to trap him.

As a programmer myself, I'd have to give that some thought. The aggressor can maybe be tracked by who is moving next to a piece constantly? The defender would always be moving away from the the chasing piece.

3. I look forward to any updates you publish. Thanks for the effort.