The Jungle Game

A boardgame of intense bluffing
JBC

The Jungle Game

Post by JBC » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:42 am

The Jungle Game is an early fore-runner to Stratego, with it's origins in Chinese Chess. And the rules are also very similar to The General. I don't know how easy it would be, perhaps not too much trouble, to create a Jungle Game version out of The General. There would be different graphics for the animals and slightly different rules. I think it would be an interesting game to play.

The Jungle Game

Rules of The Jungle Game

There are two players each have eight animals in their army. Blue moves first. Each turn consists of moving one piece one square forwards, backwards, left or right (not diagonally). Only one piece can occupy a particular square at any time. The aim of the game is to capture your opponent's den.

Capturing Pieces (eating)

Pieces are captured as in chess, by moving onto a square occupied by an opponent's piece and removing it from the board. Any piece can 'eat' an animal of a lower strength that itself. The exception is the Rat which can eat the Elephant (how? it runs into the elephant's ear and eats it's brains!). But if the Elephant is attacking it defeats the Rat. If two animals have the same strength the attacking animal eats the opponent's piece.

Example: A Panther has a strength of 5, it can eat the Dog (4), Wolf (3), Cat (2) and Rat (1) and if attacking the other Panther, he eats him too.

Piece Values

Elephant (eight)
Lion (7)
Tiger (6)
Panther (5)
Dog (4)
Wolf (3)
Cat (2)
Rat (1)
Trapped (0)

Special Rules

Animals cannot pass through water and must move around the ponds except for the Rat. Rats can enter the water and swim one square at a time. Obviously Rats can only be attacked by other Rats while in the water. Lions and Tigers also have a special move; they can leap over the pond and land on the other side. If they land on another piece it is captured. If a Rat is in the pond at the time, neither the Lion or Tiger may leap across.

In Stratego if a piece attacks a bomb it is destroyed (unless it's the bomb disposal one!) the Jungle Game equivalent, the Trap doesn't kill the piece but reduces it's strength to zero. Any attacking animal can eat it! Animals are not effected by their own traps.

Finally, no animal may enter their own den.

*EDIT - my freehost won't let me hotlink to an image. A diagram of the board is here: http://www.boardgames.150m.com/

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 am

I've heard of this game but I've no plans to do a version as Stratego is much more well known.

Deandre651

Brilliant

Post by Deandre651 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:39 am

JBC wrote: There would be different graphics for the animals and slightly different rules.

I love it do you not?:I:I