Computer AI for pocket pc....

A boardgame of intense bluffing
shadyghost

Computer AI for pocket pc....

Post by shadyghost » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey Sean great games first of all. It's great to see someone who really understands what makes a game worth its price of admission. I had no problem purchasing them for my Dell Axim seeing as it is really difficult to find quality strategy board games for it.

My problem though with General is the game's AI seems really sad. It continually throws its pieces blindly at mine with no regard for the losses it sustains. It's almost like it has a rule that says it must kill off all of its 9s in the first minute of the match.

Also it completely fails to move away from certain death with a piece even as high as a 4. Lets say I attack with my 2 and kill a piece below his 4, on his turn he he leaves it there and just allows me to kill it my next turn.

I have honestly never lost even when I'm playing pretty loose and risky. On my last game the computer took his 1 and just started blindly killing my worthless pieces deep in my territory until he hit a bomb and died.

Was wondering if there are somehow any hidden AI tweaks in the ppc version or is that just for the windows platform. Is there a possibility of an update the AI for the pocket pc in the future or is that just not going to happen? I would really love a more difficult opponent.

At the moment the general is not really playable for me because of the AI, I really really wish it was two player because I have been looking for a stratego game for my pda to play with my friends for a while now and this is the only option, and a great one at that, aside from the AI.

Over all I am very happy with Slay and Conquest. I would rate those games easily 5 out of 5. My only tiff with both of those is I wish the view would follow the "action" on the computers turn. Other than that Great Job.

j0e

AI is disappointing on Pocket PC

Post by j0e » Tue May 16, 2006 4:54 pm

I agree, shadyghost.

Sean, is it possible for you to port the PC AI over to the PPC game or offer AI levels on the PPC? I bought The General for my PPC because I loved the demo, and thought I'd be getting mulitple AI levels in the registered version and have hours of fun playing it. But the game really isn't much fun since there is no challenge :-(

I am impressed with your games, and as a coder myself I know how much work it takes to produce quality code and port it to different platforms. Thanks for the time you've put into these, it is appreciated.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue May 30, 2006 12:02 pm

I'll take a look but I thought I'd put the latest Windows AI into the Pocket PC version.

j0e

Any update, Sean?

Post by j0e » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:36 am

Just curious how the search turned out :-)

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am

I've made an upgrade to PocketGeneral (now version 2.2) which includes the latest AI code from the Windows version.

I must admit though that I found a bug which I think was just in version 2.1 which made the computer player AI almost totally useless! It was thinking only a single move ahead...

If you've bought a full version please send me an email to sean@windowsgames.co.uk and I'll send you the new version.