Mother of All Space Battles?

Defeat your enemies and conquer the world
Baltar

Mother of All Space Battles?

Post by Baltar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 am

I've been intrigued enough by MoAB that its gotten me thinking of a potential 'sequel', Mother of All Space Battles. This is only the kernel of an idea at the moment but I have come up with a number of unit ideas for it:

Land
----
Infantry-cheap ground unit with no special capabilities
Artillery-enhances the effectiveness of friendly units; deters orbital bombardment and assaults. Vulnerable in direct combat and weak at performing beachhead assaults.
Armor-Stronger all around ground unit capable of pressing the advantage. Weak at performing beachhead assaults.
Assault Mech-Very strong ground unit in beachhead assaults and general combat. Vulnerable to orbital bombardment.

Launch
------
Fighter-strong against launches and in tactical ground support
Bomber-strong at bombardment and attacking large ships

Space
-----
Freighter-inexpensive land unit carrier. Undefended.
Frigate-Inexpensive, fast, and weak in combat except for strong anti-fighter and tactical ground bombardment capability
Destroyer-A step up from the frigate in general combat, slightly slower and more expensive. Specialty is in stealth ship detection and destruction.
Stealth Ship-Difficult to detect and potent against larger ships.
Cruiser-A jack-of-all trades with good all around characteristics and movement restricting 'minelaying' effect.
Control Ship-All-purpose land and launch unit carrier. Gives bonus in beachhead assaults.
Carrier-By itself a weak unit but carries launches.
Battleship-A powerful, durable, and slow combat vessel. Strong strategic bombardment capability.

Alot of this is still quite foggy. My thinking is that the space combat would be alot like MoAB naval combat, though planets would be maybe 1 square so there'd be some abstraction of the ground combat. Obviously still needs to be thought through.

The 'launches' are units that can be used in space or on land. They have fuel just like MoAB fighters.

I was also considering the addition of 'research' in keeping with 4X games...

Thoughts? Good? Bad?

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 am

start programming it man..we're waiting...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Nuke

Post by Nuke » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Ehh...

Maybe...planets can have their own maps that are circular with endings that go to other planets, i.e., 15 cities per map or so...and you can exit to another planet through a transitional space map...and have a super transporter that you can build that skips said map can skip it!

You also have spaceports to launch spaceships accross the transitional maps.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Just make the planets "circles" of squares, with an outer circle or two to represent the atmosphere. You could have some planets that lack atmosphere, and even manufactured space habitats or colonized manufacturing asteroids, simply by making small groups of squares lacking the atmo spaces. Each kind of colony would have different capabilities, and planets, being large enough, could have multiple colonies. Planets would be a good place for light transports, space vessels small enough that it's practical to launch them against gravity through the atmosphere, and satellites or asteroids could be like shipyards, to manufacture larger space vessels. The whole game could take place inside a single solar system, so each "map" would be a different star system, like each map is a different archipelago now.

The big downer for me is that I don't think a game like this would be able to capture orbital mechanics within its scope(planets around sun, moons/etc. around planets).

It would be neat to have "planet busters" or some kind of over the top, wicked expensive weapon that could erase a settlement from existence, permanently. Then, as the war raged on, the sides would suffer depleted manufacturing capacity and the distance between belligerent factions would grow, forcing them to employ their forces differently.

If executed properly(which Sean is oh-so-excellent at, *wink-wink*), an abstracted space warfare game like this could be about as close to Heaven as I'll ever get while sitting at the computer!
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Nuke

Post by Nuke » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:13 pm

That sounds cool o:

Maybe a supernova causing Star Crusher weapon would be nice.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 pm

I hope we will see it soon, it look interesting!
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm

I wouldn't count on ever seeing it.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Nuke

Post by Nuke » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:37 am

Agreed with Legacy, lol.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:55 am

yes, but dream is so beautiful :P

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 am

And hope is so a great thing!