MOAB Unit Damage Chart Here

Defeat your enemies and conquer the world
Tiamat

MOAB Unit Damage Chart Here

Post by Tiamat » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:56 pm

This chart was given to me by Sean over a year ago, but is still accurate as the game version has not changed since.

Here is a nice chart that I made up based on the data that he provided:
http://davehughes.com/mother.html

highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:19 am

I think the chart needs a bit more explanation... Does that show the maximum damage that an attacker can inflict on a defender? Is the actual damage then determined as a die roll from 0 to that limit? How many hit points does each unit have to begin with?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:36 pm

highlandsun wrote:I think the chart needs a bit more explanation... Does that show the maximum damage that an attacker can inflict on a defender? Is the actual damage then determined as a die roll from 0 to that limit? How many hit points does each unit have to begin with?

It's the average damage that will be done by the attack. So, if it says "100" there's a 50-50 chance that the defender will be killed outright even if it was a fresh piece, and if it does survive it will be severely mauled.

HarmlessHamster

Ever thought of making a board game out of this?

Post by HarmlessHamster » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:30 pm

This would make an excellent board game! What do you think?

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:21 pm

I did make a board game like this. lots of graph paper taped together on a piece of cardboard about the size of a card-table. Bought little tiny model plans, tanks, etc... from hobby shops. Made up unit distances and damage charts, used dice for attack and damages.
It worked out really well... but was a lot of work for the few times that I could get 3 to 4 people together in one room to actually play it.
If you've got the people to play it often enough. It's a lot of fun.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm

I assume you simply ignored the fog of war?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:15 am

That's about all you can do with a pen and paper kinda game like that, I've played and made dozens of them at school over the years...

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:44 am

It is possible to have:

A: FoW tiles, so that you can cover over the board when you are starting, only leaving the immediate city terrain visible.

B: Terrain tiles, so that you only have terrain in places where you can see. After that, you go into the unknown, placing terrain by some sort of system, possibly drawing out of a hat.

Another possibility is from Killer Bee software in Empire Enhanced, where you only see the locations of cities in some games, and you choose a city, generating its surrounding territory then, or revealing it. This solves some of the problems of solution B, as you might get a random terrain generator that gave player 1 a fifteen city island, or one that left player 1 to starve inland in the middle of a sea too wide to use paratroopers.
Wing Commander Skywalker

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Yes, that's possible(Though too complex for a pen and paper kind of war game), but players can still see eachother's moves and innermost secrets.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Legacy wrote:Yes, that's possible(Though too complex for a pen and paper kind of war game), but players can still see eachother's moves and innermost secrets.

That's why we do things on a computer now-a-days.
it's too easy not to.

But in the game of Risk, you can see what others are doing and it's still fun.
So your limited a little when you do it on paper... but it does have a different appeal than having 4 guys all sitting around a computer.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:44 pm

I believe that it's actually a percentage. Give or take a few points depending on the to-hit roll.
So a damage rating of 100 (standing for 100%) will most likely destroy the defending ship in one hit, but there are occasions when it will not destroy the ship, but rather leave it critically injured.
A damage rating of 200 (standing for 200%) leaves no question that the defending ship will be destroyed with just the one hit.
A damage rating of 20 (standing for 20%) would mean that the attacker would have to hit the defending ship about 5 times to destroy it. Keeping in mind that the actual damage varies, the number of times may range from 4 to 6 hits.

Calder

Post by Calder » Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 pm

I do have a couple of questions about things that could modify the chart.

1. Does the presense of cities effect anything. (ie If an army is fighting instead a city is it harder to kill?)

2. Is there any way to repair damage or are you stuck with it for the rest of the game?

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 pm

While a unit is inside a city, it is repaired by about 15% to 20% or so per turn. In the case of naval units, the same applies while the unit is adjacent to the city.
A unit is harder to kill while inside a city because it is being repaired a little for every turn of the fight.

Although I'm sure that Sean could shed more light on the exact math.