[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - What are your favourite settings?

What are your favourite settings?

Defeat your enemies and conquer the world

Postby Father Of All Victories » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:41 am

Do you always play the default settings ? If not, which settings do you prefer ?

Here are the ones I like :
ARMY Production: 4 days Movement: 1 Fuel: unlimited
TRANSPORT Production: 2 days Movement: 4 Fuel: unlimited
DESTROYER Production: 6 days Movement: 6 Fuel: unlimited
BATTLESHIP Production: 12 days Movement: 4 Fuel: unlimited
SUBMARINE Production: 6 days Movement: 5 Fuel: unlimited
CARRIER Production: 10 days Movement: 3 Fuel: unlimited
PARAS Production: 6 days Movement: 8 Fuel: 32
FIGHTER Production: 8 days Movement: 10 Fuel: 20
BOMBER Production: 12 days Movement: 8 Fuel: 32
Father Of All Victories

Postby mrkorb » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:09 am

Army: 2 days, 8 moves
Paras: 6 days, 12 moves, 32 fuel

Fighter: 8 days, 16 moves, 32 fuel
Bomber: Not Active

Transport: Not Active
Destroyer: 8 days, 16 moves
Submarine: Not Active
Carrier: 16 days, 12 moves
Battleship: 32 days, 8 moves
MoAB player since 1995
mrkorb

Postby Father Of All Victories » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:43 am

Waooh! :shock: This is quite a different game!
Father Of All Victories

Postby Father Of All Victories » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:12 pm

For a more dynamic play, I would suggest :
ARMY 4 days 2 moves
TRANSPORT 2 days 4 moves
DESTROYER 6 days 7 moves
BATTLESHIP 12 days 5 moves
SUBMARINE 6 days 8 moves
CARRIER 10 days 4 moves
PARAS 6 days 8 moves 32 fuel
FIGHTER 8 days 12 moves 24 fuel
BOMBER 12 days 16 moves 32 fuel

As for the kind of settings mrkorb has proposed, it seems to me that :
- 8 moves for armies is much too fast as far as only rather small islands are concerned (armies only stay in the island they were built in for there are no transports to get them overseas) ;
- 16 moves for destroyers also is much too fast whereas their only "predators", viz. battleships, are but a very few only (32 days to build!) and will have real difficulties to get their target (8 moves vs. 16) if ever ;
- 12 moves for carriers (+ 16 moves for fighters) makes a total 28 moves for naval air forces which actually is?overwhelming (to say the least) and will let little chance to paratroopers (the only way to have invading armies into others islands when no transports are allowed) ;
- without any bomber (not active) it must be pretty difficult to invade (the adversary can then buid defensive armies in 2 days! and once he has built a battleship he seems invincible (no submarine).

Other opinions or feelings?
mrkorb, could you explain your reasons and observations?
Father Of All Victories

Postby mrkorb » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:24 am

Armies: Raising an army isn't too hard. You just press everybody 18 and older into service, thus 2 days per piece. ;P As for the 8 moves, it allows faster paced play, which I like.
Paras: I love paras. I figure you raise an army (2 days) and you need to train them to parachute (4 more days). Again the moves and fuel help speed the game along.

Fighters: Raise an army, teach it to fly (6 more days). Moves and fuel are as above.
Bombers: One of the most overpowered pieces. Makes it really easy to wipe out a huge number of pieces with one shot. If I did use bombers, I'd probably put them at 32 days as well as battleships. I have no problems taking cities without them.

Transport: I'd never use them anyways since I love paras so much. They're also pretty weak and you can lose 6 armies at once if your enemies get a lucky shot.
Destroyer: I use them for recon and exploration. I also don't feel 16 moves is too much, because often times I wish they could go 17 or 18.
Subs: Really only good vs battleships, which are rare at 32 days. Too easily taken out by planes.
Carrier: My games rarely go over 100 days, and even then I probably only have one city doing carriers, and that's probably not until day 50 or so. That puts me at only about 2 or 3 carriers, and by the time they're produced I'm already at 80-90% world domination. They just fill in the hard to reach places.
Battleship: Again, like the bomber, an overpowered piece that can take out nearly anything in one shot. Also real battleships are huge, so 32 days to produce isn't too far fetched. Like destroyers, often times even 8 moves feels too limiting. The computer usually can put out at least 1 or 2 of them during a game, which I absolutely swarm with destroyers to keep them busy from taking out my port city defenses.
MoAB player since 1995
mrkorb

Postby Father Of All Victories » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:16 am

Thanks to you, mrkorb.
HOW is it that the other MOAB players seem to just not mind the settings??? Isn't it a DETERMINING FACTOR in the game?
Father Of All Victories

Postby Legacy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:58 am

My only real change is disabling battleships sometimes, and I set army moves to 2.
Legacy

Postby Garnier » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Garnier

Postby jftsang » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Blitzkrieg: half the production time, quadruple the movement and fuel...
jftsang

Postby pedroski » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:09 pm

I have to say that if you turn of transports at least on easier difficulties the comuter can't play. They don't use paras.
pedroski

Postby Legacy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Return to Mother Of All Battles