random tackling outcomes?

Five-a-side dinosaur football
holg3r

random tackling outcomes?

Post by holg3r » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand the rules determining who wins a tackle. This is what I thought the rules are:

(1)
When my dino tackles the ball-carrying dino of the other team, my dino will win the tackle (and vice versa).

(2)
When both my dino and the other team's dino attempt to catch the ball simultaneously, the dino whose half the ball is in will win the tackle.

However, I frequently encounter a type of situation that does not seem to be predicted by rules (1) and (2): When I chase after a dino of the other team who in turn is aiming at the loose ball in front of him (in his half), I usually get tackled without ever having reached the ball. By my understanding, I should be able to successfully tackle the other dino in such situations, according to rule (1) above. Does this mean I'm chasing the other dino too closely? Or any other explanations?

It tends to happen near the upper side-line, and less frequently in the other team's endzone. Curiously, though, I hardly ever witness the same thing happen with switched roles -- which makes me think that there are some random factors involved in tackling outcomes, with the odds being programmed in favor of the other team... :?

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks
Holger

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:53 am

What it is is if ANY dinosaur ANYWHERE goes on top of another dino that has the ball he wins the tackle.

If you and another dinosaur are both trying to catch the ball it is likely you catch it and he isntantly tackles you.

holg3r

Post by holg3r » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks for your resply.

pedroski wrote:What it is is if ANY dinosaur ANYWHERE goes on top of another dino that has the ball he wins the tackle.

I know, this is rule (1) above.

If you and another dinosaur are both trying to catch the ball it is likely you catch it and he isntantly tackles you.

Yes, I can see this happen, too, but this does not seem to explain the situation I described where the other dino is between me and the ball and thus necessarily HAS to reach and catch the ball before I can. Therefore, I should successfully tackle HIM, not vice versa...

Thanks anyway.

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Mabye he stops you pass him and he tackles you in a split second. I don't really know.

Arius

Post by Arius » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:49 pm

The two rules apply at all times. What you see are master plays that the AI does (not intentionally). What happens is that a dino catches the ball and an opposing dino charges him almost at the same instant, winning the tackle.

Another thing it could be are intercepts. This happens when two dinos are running along the passing trajectory to the little X on the field. The dino behind sometimes catches it prematurely, causing the other one to pwn him and win the ball.

Burgess

Re: random tackling outcomes?

Post by Burgess » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

espite the instructions saying to hold the mouse button and release when you want to pass, i can only simply click and pass on the run. i played the game years ago, and am pretty sure this has changed, or is bugged. anyone else having this issue? any help is appreciated