New Tackling Behaviour

Five-a-side dinosaur football
Quitch

New Tackling Behaviour

Post by Quitch » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:02 pm

I have to say, I really don't like the new tackling behaviour, I think it removes a lot of what the player could bring to the table over the computers. It certainly puts more emphasis on passing, but it removes the chance of individual flair.

In case people don't know what I'm talking about, when a dino caught a ball they tackled anyone touching them, so if dino A passed to B, but C was in-between and touching B, C would catch the ball AND tackle B. This was the only time a ball carrying dino would tackle. It allowed for some neat tricks whereby you would intercept a ball at the last second, and take down the dino going for the catch, often leading you a clear path to the goal.

Now this is no longer possible since the side whose half it is always wins in this situation. Take the above scenario, if A and B were passing within their own half, C would be now be tackled upon catching the ball.

I suppose it depends what kind of game you want, but I'd like to see that player "flair" brought back to replace the some what dull, by the numbers, pass till an opening occurs, game Football-o-saurus has become.

It was once my favourite, and very addictive, but I find it too predictable now because of this change. I used to love pulling off that move, or howling in fustration as one of my defenders had it done to them by a jammy AI player. It gave the game that unpredictable edge.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:15 am

What do other people think? Did you prefer the old system or the new one?

Old system:

If a dino is touching the ball and another dino is touching them, the dino that catches the ball tackles the other dino. It was possible with this system to hang just off the dino going to catch then cut across them at the last second to catch the ball and win the tackle, but it took timing.

New system:

If two dinos are touching and the ball is thrown to them the dino whose half it is wins the tackle.

My vote is for the old system, it allowed for a little more flair... downside being that the AI didn't take it into account when makes catches (but I'm sure getting it to wiggle around when making a catch wouldn't have been too hard to add).

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Surely the simple solution is to avoid catching the ball and then tackle the AI who does. In your example, C, instead of catching it, backs off slightly, letting B catch it, then runs in tackles him and has a clear run for the line.

And if your having problems with the auto-catch, where the Dino automatically runs to where the ball is, you can turn that off.

For those reasons I guess I'd prefer the new method, I've never seen the old method, so I cant really say which is better :?

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:32 pm

I know you can turn it off, I'm the one who got that feature added :)

If you're far enough away for them to catch it without being tackled, you won't get a chance to tackle them, no in the higher leagues.

I see WHY the change was made, but IMO it removes the margin for individual flair and I'm not overly keen on it. Not to mention there is zero point marking in your opponents half because you can't stop them passing, bar an intercept.

lizzard211

Post by lizzard211 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:25 pm

i have never experianced the first option but it sounds quite cool probalbly better than the second one possibly a option which allows you to change this setting is in order

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:29 am

I also have never experienced the old option, but I'm just curious: did that result in much higher-scoring games?

Lukov

Post by Lukov » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:51 am

Dunno, but the old system was a little better, though.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Mangin wrote:I also have never experienced the old option, but I'm just curious: did that result in much higher-scoring games?

Less predictable games. As for higher scoring, I don't recall, it was a long while ago.

Joshua_ohlman

Post by Joshua_ohlman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 am

Quitch wrote:I know you can turn it off, I'm the one who got that feature added :)

I hate to contradict you, but I can turn it off, it's on the option menu.
I have version 1.1

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:49 pm

if there was ever an example of 'Read the question properly before answering'....
________
Daihatsu Pyzar specifications
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Joshua_ohlman wrote:
Quitch wrote:I know you can turn it off, I'm the one who got that feature added :)

I hate to contradict you, but I can turn it off, it's on the option menu.
I have version 1.1

You're contradicting me saying you can turn it off by telling me... I can turn it off??

Unfortunately, you cannot turn off the new tackling system. I do believe you're thinking of moving to a loose ball. I have 1.1a.

Zarni

Post by Zarni » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:43 am

I think a good compromise would be to use both behaviours - split the field into three areas - the end areas use the "new" system and the center field has the old system, with clearly defined lines to show where the end zones begin.

I think if you did this though, you'd need to make the fields longer. It'd be an interesting experiment to play with, and I'm sure would need some playtesting to work out the best mix of zone sizes and (perhaps) field length.

If this isn't going to happen, my vote goes for the new system. I prefer tactics over flair moves anyday, and there's flair in a good takedown tackle too!

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Yes, but if we're going to have the new system then update the AI so it understands it! I'm tired of watching dinos mark in their opponents half when it's totally pointless.