Easiest/Hardest formations and player pacings

Five-a-side dinosaur football
Zarni

Easiest/Hardest formations and player pacings

Post by Zarni » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:19 am

Hi There,

Just a curiousity question - what formations and positions do people generally prefer to play? My preferred and best performed is now playing 1-1-3, and playing as the right winger. Second would probably be 1-2-2, playing the right back (great attacking overlap opportunities with this!).

For those wanting a challenge, try and win playing 3-1-1 as the centre forward. I managed to stay competitive in Div1 playing this formation, but could never crack the win of the division with this system (got 2nd a number of times though...)

Anyone come up with another formation that is particularly easy/hard to win with?

R.

Miami-Ace

Post by Miami-Ace » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:16 am

I have a lot of success using a 3-1-1 formation. I routinely score on the same play in 13 or 14 seconds.
Here's how: On the tossup of the ball, if my team's point man is able to get the ball on a tackle, it's a very high-percentage chance that I'll quickly score. The player I control (on the bottom-left of the formation) then sweeps up to the top of the screen and then heads straight toward the goal along the top sideline.
The computer defenders don't pick up this move coming from the bottom-rear of the formation.
As I emerge from the pack, my man with the ball will throw to me and a two-on-one break for the goal occurs: One of my men will already be driving toward the goal at the top of the screen. Because of the tackle on the tossup, that first teammate at the top will be pushing the sole defender back. As I approach the goal, that sole defender rushes forward, and I throw to my teammate who is now alone in the goal zone.
I'm a happy player of Sean's games -- his use of AI is great.

Zarni

Post by Zarni » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:33 am

I've used the same trick many a time, you can do a similar move with the 1-1-3 formation running what is essentially a "slant" path.

I took on playing the CF to see how I could go at winning the kickoff positions - finally managed to win using 3-1-1 in CF position, winning as the right back is much simpler though... :)

Anyone got any other challenging setups?

R.

Ralphy

Hours more playing time!

Post by Ralphy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:32 pm

Hi team,

Just a quick thank you for bringing it to my attention that you actually can switch the player you start as! I've played 100s of games and never noticed! Now i shall play even more, and my exam revision will slide down the drain!

Ralph.

ps. my favourite formation is either 1-3-1 or 1-1-3, although i find the latter means that one year I win the league, and the next I am relegated!

GM

Post by GM » Fri May 06, 2005 5:29 pm

I use the 1-1-3 almost all the time, with two exceptions. I always play against the Mammoths and Jurassic Steel in a 1-3-1. I just find I need to play back and play a bit more patient and safe against these two teams. Each of the teams definitely have a different style. I find in general these two teams are the toughest to beat however. The Steels seem to be the fastest team, and are able to pass the ball almost immediately after receiving it. With the Mammoths, they seem to have a knack for getting downfield and in a better position better than most.

Against teams that are fairly inept offensively (Morning Fire comes to mind) a 1-1-3 works much better however, to apply constant pressure. A team like this poses almost no threat to my defense, so no need to sit back in a more defensive scheme.

(edit) In the 1-1-3 I play as the right forward. In the 1-3-1 I play as the right midfielder.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:17 am

I avoid any formation with a 3 in it, I find it leaves you too open in a different position. Any formation with 2 at the front is to be avoided as well as you won't win the opening ball against someone with 1 or 3 at the front.

I like to play 2-2-1. It gives me reasonable defence, good passing, and I play the front and make the chances.

holg3r

Post by holg3r » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 am

GM wrote:I use the 1-1-3 almost all the time, with two exceptions. I always play against the Mammoths and Jurassic Steel in a 1-3-1. I just find I need to play back and play a bit more patient and safe against these two teams. [...] I find in general these two teams are the toughest to beat however. The Steels seem to be the fastest team, and are able to pass the ball almost immediately after receiving it.

I tried virtually all different formations against Jurassic Steel but they seem to be superior no matter what I do. I've won the 1st division a couple of times but even in those seasons lost to Jurassic Steel 0-6 or the like. It's not only that they move incredibly fast (even with the ball) and manage to instantly throw the ball after receiving it -- but additionally, my team players seem to lose much of their skill when playing against Jurassic Steel. Are they afraid of J.S.? Is there a fear factor implemented in this game, Sean? :wink:

Anyway, I'm wondering what formations and general strategies you players out there developed for standing your ground against Jurassic Steel... Any clues will be appreciated.

Thanx
holg3r

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm

GM wrote:The Steels seem to be the fastest team, and are able to pass the ball almost immediately after receiving it. With the Mammoths, they seem to have a knack for getting downfield and in a better position better than most.

I totally agree!

The Mammoths' offensive power seems to be levelled out by their weaker defensive capabilites, mostly because of their formation. I find that I can score on them almost every time I get the ball as long as i don't make a mistake. But when they get the ball, I get BACK, because they are dangerous.

As for the Jurassic Steel, it's my opinion that they are the most difficult team in the game. Still, I find I can win almost consistently using a 1-3-1 formation and playing as the back guy. As GM said, a more patient and safe approach is what you need. I just stay back, concentrate on defense, and wait for a nice fast break opportunity, such as when one of the JS players gets tackled. Still, JS's speed cancels out at least a few of these breaks every game.

I recently beat them 8-0 and this seems to have really demoralized them as afterwards, during the next few seasons, they became relegated all the way down to the second lowest division. They're still not back up in the top division yet. :D

Arius

Post by Arius » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:01 am

My formation is the 1-3-1

I have had good success with this one, playing as right winger. That position seems to be most conducive to performing master plays (see my post Winning Tips to see what i mean).

harrisonford861

Post by harrisonford861 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:29 am

where did you get the success ? let me know your success story !
harrison ford