More AI tweaks, rule changes?

Five-a-side dinosaur football
oldskool

More AI tweaks, rule changes?

Post by oldskool » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:07 am

It seems to me that the AI is a bit too eager to head back on the defensive in some situations.
Example: My dino heads toward the goal line, but he's not going to make it without getting tackled. To the top of the screen is a teammate heading to the goal line, followed by an opposing dino...about 1 dino length back.
I throw the ball way ahead of my teammate, into the end zone, because if he catches it, it will slow him down and he'll be tackled.
But instead of continuing to run to the ball (thusly picking it up and scoring) he turns around and runs the other way, letting the opposing dino get the ball.

My dino should recognize that if he keeps going, he'll get the ball and score, but he just turns around every time. It seems that they'll go after a loose ball, but if the human player is the passer of that loose ball, they just give up and turn around.

Rule changes:
Is there a reason there are 260 seconds? Seems like an odd amount of time for a game clock.

I also don't like the fact that the clock starts as soon as the ball goes up for the start of a game and after every score. How about having it start as soon as a dino touches the ball, or at least as soon as it hits the ground?

I'd also like to see a right-click "diving tackle", where your dino lunges forward. If they hit, the opposing dino goes down; but if they miss, YOUR dino stays down just as if he was tackled, making sure you don't have players lunging all over the place just on the off chance they hit somebody.

Speaking of collisions, how about some collision detection between the non-ball-carrying dinos? Having the ability to block would greatly increase the strategy level, and it would also fix that catch-and-instant-tackle thing.

And perhaps an "Ultimate football" mode, where every loose ball is a change of possession? If the ball hits the ground, the team that threw it can't pick it up (and preferably the clock would stop until the opposing team touched the ball, so if you were in the lead, you wouldn't be able to just let the clock run out by not picking up the ball); that would be the only change you'd need to make, and it would become very strategic for multiplayer because you couldn't just throw the ball up and hope your dino got to it.

I would also love to see a "call route" implemented; number the dinos 1 to 5, and hit the number of the dino and a letter and they will do different things (like run a slant, or go backwards, or just get to an open spot on the field, etc.)

Again, I'm no programmer, so I have no idea if any of this is even possible, let alone feasible for putting in. Just my thoughts is all.

Miami-Ace

Post by Miami-Ace » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:16 am

In my experience, anytime one of my dinos gets any kind of real daylight between him and the deepest defender, if I throw the ball ahead of him either into or near the end zone, he will get it. That's one of the key ways to score.

The would-be receiver will not chase though, if he calculates that he's going to get tackled.

As far as designating plays, I think it's one of the beauties of Football-o-Saurus that you can make certain kinds of plays happen -- both on offense and defense by moving the man you control in real time. For example, if one of your players has the ball, if you make a diagonal cut into open territory, he is very likely to throw to you. And if you are carrying the ball, if you make a bit of a rush at a defender who has been guarding one of your men, the defender often will step toward you, allowing the man who is now undefended to slip toward the goal, and you then you throw to him for a goal.
I'm a happy player of Sean's games -- his use of AI is great.