[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Schedule flaws / flexible schedules / game length

Schedule flaws / flexible schedules / game length

Five-a-side dinosaur football

Schedule flaws / flexible schedules / game length

Postby GM » Fri May 06, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi,

I've now logged some 400 seasons of Football-o-Saurus. Some observations and suggestions.

1) I notice a flaw in the scheduling. While I always play each team exactly once per season, the other teams do not. This can lead to a situation where some teams receive more (or less) favorable schedules than others. For example, in my most-recent season, the schedule was as follow (my team is the Raptors :) )....

Game 1
Morning Fire vs The Mammoths
Raptors vs Jurassic Steel
Anvil Power vs Red Volcano

Game 2
Morning Fire vs Anvil Power
Raptors vs The Mammoths
Red Volcano vs Jurassic Steel

Game 3
Raptors vs Anvil Power
Red Volcano vs Jurassic Steel

Game 4
Morning Fire vs Anvil Power
Raptors vs Red Volcano
The Mammoths vs Jurassic Steel

Game 5
Morning Fire vs Raptors
The Mammoths vs Jurassic Steel

The colors indicate duplicate matches. (IE. The two red matches feature the same opponents, same for the two orange ones, etc). In fact, every match but the ones involving my team is colored!

By having teams swap opponents in just THREE cases, this imbalanced schedule can be completely corrected, and everyone will play everyone else exactly once.

Game 3: Have Morning Fire play Red Volcano instead (and therefore The Mammoths will play Jurassic Steel).
Game 4: Have Morning Fire play Jurassic Steel instead (and therefore The Mammoths will play Anvil Power).
Game 5: Have Anvil Power play Jurassic Steel instead (and therefore The Mammoths will play Red Volcano).

Seems like a simple enough change, no? I'm hoping you'll consider this.

2) How about the ability to make seasons longer? Five game seasons are ok, but for variety I'd like to play longer seasons. Perhaps a 16 game season, where if you are in Division 1 you play everyone else in Division 1 twice, and all the teams in Division 2 once. You still have a high level of difficulty, but more variety.

3) Adjustable game length. I am pretty sure when I had the demo version the length of the game was adjustable. But now that I have the purchased version all my games are stuck at 3 minutes in length. I'm not sure why this option was removed (if it was)....but the odd 5 minute or even 10 minute game might be sort of fun.

I hope you'll consider all these options.

And on a completely different topic....for those of you who have never tried it, turn OFF the "Automatically move to lose ball" option. Having it on is a good way to learn the game, but with it off you can perform much more complex maneouvers (such as jumping in front of an opponent to intercept the ball without getting tackled, or backing off so that you don't get tackled). The game is MUCH improved with this option off, though it may take you a little while to learn how to catch.
GM

Postby GM » Sat May 07, 2005 12:27 am

Just played another season. Noticed that the schedule isn't the same each time. (Of course I knew that already...seeing as the teams in the division change. But I mean the matchups appear to be made up on the fly, not pre-arranged). I actually had an instance of two teams playing each other three times in one season...yikes. Even the fans must be getting sick of seeing this classic rivalry. :)

Game 1
Raptors vs Red Volcano
Anvil Power vs Jagged Tooth

Game 2
Morning Fire vs Jagged Tooth
Raptors vs The Mammoths

Game 3
Raptors vs Anvil Power
Red Volcano vs Jagged Tooth

Game 4
Morning Fire vs Raptors
Anvil Power vs The Mammoths
Red Volcano vs Jagged Tooth

Game 5
Morning Fire vs The Mammoths (third meeting)
Raptors vs Jagged Tooth

After thinking it over a bit, I'd suggest a schedule based on the previous season's results. The 1st place team should see a schedule that gets increasingly more difficult (in theory) as the season wears on.

IE.
Game 1
1st vs New Team
2nd vs 4th
3rd vs 5th

Game 2
1st vs 5th
2nd vs 3rd
4th vs New Team

Game 3
1st vs 4th
2nd vs 5th
3rd vs New Team

Game 4
1st vs 3rd
2nd vs New Team
4th vs 5th

Game 5
1st vs 2nd
3rd vs 4th
5th vs New Team
GM

Re: Schedule flaws / flexible schedules / game length

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:05 am

Matt

Postby Bob Janova » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:56 pm

Bob Janova

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:07 am

Matt

Postby qwas » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:47 am

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Return to Football-o-saurus